Abstract algebra: Rings and Ideals

In summary, the task is to prove that a subset A of a ring S is an ideal, where A has certain properties. S is a cartesian product of two other rings and it has been proven that A is a subring of S. The remaining step is to show that R, one of the rings in the cartesian product, is commutative. This has been challenging due to the fact that R is a ring without zero divisors and without an identity. It is known that a ring without zero divisors and without an identity is not necessarily commutative. Therefore, it is important to provide a proof for the commutativity of R in order to complete the task.
lmedin02

Homework Statement

The problem is to show that a subset A of a ring S is an ideal where A has certain properties. S is a ring described as a cartisian product of two other rings (i.e., S=(RxZ,+,*)). I have already proved that A is a subring of S and proved one direction of the definition of an ideal. But, the other direction has brought me to having to show that R is commutative. It is given that R is a ring without zero divisors and without identity.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a ring R is commutative if it has the property that ab=ca implies b=c when a is not zero. I have attempted various simple manipulations of this statement by using the fact that R is a ring without zero divisors and without an identity.

Physics news on Phys.org
In other words, is a ring R without zero divisors and without an identity commutative.

An integral domain has a unity (i.e., identity). In my case, R has no unity so it is not an integral domain.

Related to Abstract algebra: Rings and Ideals

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields, using abstract mathematical concepts and techniques.

2. What is a ring in abstract algebra?

A ring is a set of elements together with two binary operations, usually addition and multiplication, that follow specific properties. Rings can be commutative or non-commutative, have identity elements or not, and have zero divisors or not.

3. What are ideals in abstract algebra?

Ideals are special subsets of a ring that satisfy specific properties. They are similar to subrings, but they do not necessarily contain the multiplicative identity element of the ring. Ideals are useful in studying properties of rings and in constructing new rings.

4. How are rings and ideals related in abstract algebra?

Ideals are closely related to rings, as they are subsets of rings that satisfy specific properties. In fact, many important properties of rings can be derived from the properties of their ideals. Additionally, the quotient ring, which is formed by dividing a ring by an ideal, is an important concept in abstract algebra.

5. What are some applications of abstract algebra in real-world problems?

Abstract algebra has many applications in various fields, such as cryptography, coding theory, and physics. In cryptography, abstract algebra is used to create secure encryption algorithms. In coding theory, it is used to design efficient error-correcting codes. In physics, it is used to describe and analyze symmetries and transformations in physical systems.