Abstract Algebra: Parity of a Permutation

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the parity of a permutation using the number of transpositions. The speaker believes their reasoning is faulty, but the other person agrees with their conclusion. They also mention an important theorem that states the parity of a permutation remains the same regardless of how it is written as a product of transpositions.
Abraham

Homework Statement

How do I determine the parity of a permutation? I think my reasoning may be faulty.

By a theorem, an n-cycle is the product of (n-1) transpositions. For example, a 5 cycle can be written as 4 transpositions.

Now say I have a permutation written in cycle notation: (1 4 5)(2 3).

I say it is odd, because (1 4 5) can be written as two transpositions, and (2 3) is already a transposition, giving 3 total transpositions:

(1 4 5)(2 3) = (1 5)(1 4)(2 3).

Since the number of transpositions is odd, the permutation must be odd.
Agree or disagree?

Physics news on Phys.org
Abraham said:

Homework Statement

How do I determine the parity of a permutation? I think my reasoning may be faulty.

By a theorem, an n-cycle is the product of (n-1) transpositions. For example, a 5 cycle can be written as 4 transpositions.

Now say I have a permutation written in cycle notation: (1 4 5)(2 3).

I say it is odd, because (1 4 5) can be written as two transpositions, and (2 3) is already a transposition, giving 3 total transpositions:

(1 4 5)(2 3) = (1 5)(1 4)(2 3).

Since the number of transpositions is odd, the permutation must be odd.
Agree or disagree?

Agree. Note that you are implicitly using a very important and non-trivial theorem, which is that even though a permutation may be written in many different ways as a product of transpositions, the parity is the same no matter which product you choose.

For example, a 5-cycle may be written as a product of 4 transpositions, or 6 transpositions, or 8, etc., but there's no way to write it as a product of 5 or 7 or 9...

Thank you, for the swift reply.

Related to Abstract Algebra: Parity of a Permutation

1. What is an abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields, and their operations and properties. It differs from elementary algebra, which deals with specific numbers and equations, in that it focuses on the general rules and patterns that govern these structures.

2. What is a parity of a permutation?

The parity of a permutation refers to whether the permutation is even or odd. In other words, it determines whether the permutation can be written as an even or odd number of transpositions, which are operations that swap two elements in a permutation. The parity of a permutation is an important concept in abstract algebra, especially in the study of groups and their properties.

3. How is the parity of a permutation calculated?

The parity of a permutation is calculated by counting the number of inversions in the permutation. An inversion occurs when two elements in the permutation are in reverse order. If the number of inversions is even, the permutation is considered to be even or to have even parity. If the number of inversions is odd, the permutation is considered to be odd or to have odd parity.

4. What is the significance of the parity of a permutation?

The parity of a permutation is significant because it helps us understand the structure and behavior of groups. Permutations with the same parity can be grouped together and have similar properties, while permutations with different parity have different properties. Additionally, the parity of a permutation can help us determine whether a group is abelian, which means that its operation is commutative.

5. How is the concept of parity of a permutation applied in real life?

The concept of parity of a permutation has applications in various fields, such as computer science, physics, and chemistry. In computer science, it is used in data encryption, coding theory, and error correction. In physics, it is used to describe the symmetries of physical systems. In chemistry, it is used to understand the structure and behavior of molecules. The concept of parity of a permutation is also used in puzzles and games, such as the Rubik's cube, where the goal is to rearrange the pieces in an even or odd number of moves.