Absolute value theorem that I can't convince myself of

In summary, the triangle inequality states that for any real numbers a and b, the absolute value of their sum is less than or equal to the sum of their absolute values. This is a proven inequality and is considered to be an important concept in mathematics.
JennyInTheSky
While reading my text, I came across an inequality that I couldn't convince myself of...

For real numbers a,b: [tex]\left|a+b[/tex]|<= |a|+|b|. Is this something proven? Or is it an axiom or something?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's a pretty important inequality. I highly suggest you convince yourself of its truth :D

To convince yourself of its truth consider what the effect of the signs of a and b have on the inequality.

Case 1( a and b are positive):
|a+b| = a + b = |a|+|b|

Case 2 (a is positive and b is non-positive):
Let b = -y then a and y are positive. If a-y is positive:
[tex]|a+b|=|a-y| = a-y \leq a \leq |a| + |b|[/tex]
If a-y is non-positive, then y-a is positive and:
[tex]|a+b|=|a-y| = y-a \leq y = |b| \leq |a| + |b|[/tex]

Case 3 (a and b are negative):
Let a = -x, b = -y:
|a+b| = |-(x+y)| = x+y = |a|+|b|

Related to Absolute value theorem that I can't convince myself of

1. What is the absolute value theorem?

The absolute value theorem is a mathematical principle that states that the absolute value of a number is always positive. It is denoted by two vertical lines surrounding the number, and it represents the distance of a number from zero on a number line.

2. How is the absolute value theorem used in real life?

The absolute value theorem has many practical applications in real life, such as calculating distances, determining differences in temperatures, and solving problems in physics, engineering, and economics. It is also used in programming to ensure that a value is always positive.

3. Can the absolute value theorem be applied to complex numbers?

No, the absolute value theorem is only applicable to real numbers. For complex numbers, the absolute value is defined as the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts.

4. How does the absolute value theorem relate to inequalities?

The absolute value theorem is closely related to inequalities, as it can be used to solve and prove inequalities. It can also be used to simplify expressions involving absolute value and inequalities, making them easier to solve.

5. Is the absolute value theorem always true?

Yes, the absolute value theorem is a fundamental mathematical principle that is always true. It is a well-established rule that applies to all real numbers and is not subject to exceptions or conditions.