Absolute value squared of complex number?

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the squared absolute value of a complex number using trigonometric identities and Euler's formula. The key steps include expressing the exponential complex number in its trigonometric form, evaluating its absolute value, and simplifying with trigonometric identities. The conversation also mentions trying different approaches and finally realizing the simplicity of the solution.
Tamis
I'm given [itex]1-a\cdot e^{-i\cdot 2 \pi f}[/itex]. The squared absolute value apparently is [itex]|1-a\cdot e^{-i\cdot 2 \pi f}|^2=1+a^2-2acos(2 \pi f)[/itex].

Sadly the awnser doesn't show the steps of this derivation. I have tried many times to derive it my self but have not been able to do so. I feel like i am missing the obvious, does anyone care to show me how it's done?

Physics news on Phys.org
It can be done quite easily by first expressing the exponential complex number in its trigonometric form, evaluating its absolute value and then simplifying with trigonometric identities.

How did you approach it?

Here z is the sum of two complex phasors, one length ##1## pointing along the real axis and the other length ##a## pointing at angle ##2\pi f## from the real axis. The modulus is the length of the resultant, which you find from the cosine rule.

Algebraically you can use Euler's formula and trig identities.

Pff i feel stupid :P

I was trying to do all kinds of crazy stuff like interchanging the power and absolute value etc. And making use of things like [itex]|e^{i\cdot \phi}|=e^{-Im(\phi)}[/itex]. Can't believe it's that simple :P

Thnx for the help!

Related to Absolute value squared of complex number?

1. What is the absolute value squared of a complex number?

The absolute value squared of a complex number is the square of its absolute value. It is calculated by taking the distance of the complex number from the origin on the complex plane and squaring it.

2. How is the absolute value squared of a complex number different from its magnitude?

The absolute value squared and magnitude of a complex number are very similar, but the absolute value squared is always a real number, while the magnitude can be a real or complex number.

3. How is the absolute value squared of a complex number related to its conjugate?

The absolute value squared of a complex number is equal to the product of the complex number and its conjugate. This can be written as |z|^2 = z * z̄ where z̄ represents the conjugate of z.

4. Can the absolute value squared of a complex number ever be negative?

No, the absolute value squared of a complex number is always a non-negative real number. This is because the square of any number is always positive.

5. How is the absolute value squared of a complex number used in complex analysis?

The absolute value squared of a complex number is often used in complex analysis to find the modulus of a complex function, which is important in determining the convergence or divergence of a complex series.