Absolute value of complex number

In summary, the author tries to find an answer to a question about homework by discussing what is and isn't in a set, and how identification works. They also ask a question about a contradiction in Euclidean space.
gotjrgkr

Homework Statement

Let R be a set of real numbers derived from rational numbers.
And, let R* be a set consisting of all ordered pairs of the form (x,0) where x is an element of R.

For a complex number z = (a,b) = a+ib, I've learned that the absolute value of z is the number (a^2+b^2)^1/2.

I wonder which one of R and R* contains the absolute value ((a^2+b^2)^1/2) of z

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi gotjrgkr, :wink:

Strictly mathematically, [tex]\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/tex] will be an element of [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex]. Since you seem to say that [tex]\mathbb{R}^*[/tex] (which is a notation I've not encountered yet) is the set of all couples (x,0). This would mean that [tex]\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/tex] is not in [tex]\mathbb{R}^*[/tex], since it is not of the form (x,0).

That said, there is a canonical isomorphism between [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbb{R}^*[/tex]. So, I wouldn't be surprised if people identify the two sets and would actually say that [tex]\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/tex] is in [tex]\mathbb{R}^*[/tex]. But strictly mathematical, this is not correct.

Yes, and I'm thinking also that it's not in either since sqrt(2) isn't in R or R*.

Antiphon said:
Yes, and I'm thinking also that it's not in either since sqrt(2) isn't in R or R*.

And since when is sqrt(2) not in R?

micromass said:
Hi gotjrgkr, :wink:

Strictly mathematically, [tex]\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/tex] will be an element of [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex]. Since you seem to say that [tex]\mathbb{R}^*[/tex] (which is a notation I've not encountered yet) is the set of all couples (x,0). This would mean that [tex]\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/tex] is not in [tex]\mathbb{R}^*[/tex], since it is not of the form (x,0).

That said, there is a canonical isomorphism between [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbb{R}^*[/tex]. So, I wouldn't be surprised if people identify the two sets and would actually say that [tex]\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/tex] is in [tex]\mathbb{R}^*[/tex]. But strictly mathematical, this is not correct.

yeah, I also thought about that case like you first.
I actually study P.M.A by rudin nowadays.
And in the first chapter ,as you know, the complex number system has been introduced.
There is a phrase arguing that we wright x=(x,0) where numbers x,0 in the right side of the equation are contained in R and the absolute value of any complex number z is sqrt of z*(conjugate of z). When I saw this phrase, because z*(conjugate of z) = (a^2+b^2,0) where z=(a,b) and a,b are contained in R by using the definition of absolute value of z as I've written it above, if I follow the convention x=(x,0), then I would get the result such that (a^2+b^2)^1/2=((a^2+b^2)^1/2,0) is contained in R*.
But if I accept this result then i couldn't explain an another result related with metric space; if i take it , then because the value(real number) of metric on system of complex numbers would be of the form(x,0) for some x contained in R.So, the value is contained in R*.
But the metric of euclidean space has its value (real number) in R. And i think the value(real number) of a metric space must be in the same space (R or R*).
I'm sorry for my poor english ability in conveying my idea.
Please try to understand some errors...

Last edited:
Ah, well, in that case Rudin simply identified the two spaces. This might look tricky and incorrect, but mathematicians do this very often.
In this case,

[tex]\sqrt{a^2+b^2}=(\sqrt{a^2+b^2},0)[/tex]

have been identified. So both are in R and in R*. But, what does identification mean? Well, what Rudin doesn't say is that he assumes an isomorphism [tex]\phi:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^*[/tex] and that he actually writes

[tex]\phi(x)=(x,0)[/tex].

So, whenever he talks about x and (x,0), he assumes those two to be the same under the isomorphism phi!

micromass said:
Ah, well, in that case Rudin simply identified the two spaces. This might look tricky and incorrect, but mathematicians do this very often.
In this case,

[tex]\sqrt{a^2+b^2}=(\sqrt{a^2+b^2},0)[/tex]

have been identified. So both are in R and in R*. But, what does identification mean? Well, what Rudin doesn't say is that he assumes an isomorphism [tex]\phi:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^*[/tex] and that he actually writes

[tex]\phi(x)=(x,0)[/tex].

So, whenever he talks about x and (x,0), he assumes those two to be the same under the isomorphism phi!

1.I haven't studied about isomorphism yet. Could you tell me where I can find that notion?
And if you don't mind, i'd like to ask you one more question about euclidean space related with this topic.
2.As I said above, if i accept that the value of metric function on a system of complex numbers is contained in R*, isn't it contradiction to the fact that the value of metric function on any k-dimensional euclidean space is contained in R??
Therefore, i tried another way to solve this problem; Because R* also satisfies all axioms which are needed to be R, I thought R* could be redefined as a system of real numbers.And this procedure is similar with construction how rational numbers are defined from R( at first, R is derived from a set of rational numbers and the set of rationals has been redefined as a subset of R). Then by using this newly defined real numbers x= (x,0), i could get the result such that the value of metric function on the euclidean space is also contained in R*. Therefore, their set theorytic forms coincide each other; i mean the values of metric functions of C(a set of complex numbers) and k-dimensional euclidean space are contained in the same space R*.
Do you agree with my argument?
If there's any wrong part, please tell me about that.
I really appreciate you about reading my long questions and sharing my problems.

1) Don't worry about it then. With isomorphism, I just mean a suitable "identification"
2) This is a very good solution to the problem! Just redefine R to mean R*, this looks fine to me!

micromass said:
1) Don't worry about it then. With isomorphism, I just mean a suitable "identification"
2) This is a very good solution to the problem! Just redefine R to mean R*, this looks fine to me!

Oh, really?
But it seems to me that there's another problem related with the definition of integration of complex valued function of real variable if i assume that...
Anyway, thank you very much!

Related to Absolute value of complex number

What is the absolute value of a complex number?

The absolute value of a complex number is the distance of the number from the origin on the complex plane. It is also known as the modulus or magnitude of the number.

How is the absolute value of a complex number calculated?

The absolute value of a complex number is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts of the number. In other words, for a complex number a + bi, the absolute value is √(a² + b²).

What does the absolute value of a complex number represent?

The absolute value of a complex number represents the distance of the number from the origin on the complex plane. It can also be thought of as the magnitude or size of the number.

Why is the absolute value of a complex number important?

The absolute value of a complex number is important in various mathematical and scientific applications. It is used to calculate the distance between two complex numbers, find the roots of complex equations, and determine the convergence of complex series, among other things.

What is the relationship between the absolute value of a complex number and its conjugate?

The absolute value of a complex number and its conjugate are always equal. This is because the conjugate of a complex number represents the reflection of the number across the real axis, and thus the distance from the origin remains the same.