Absolute value and differentiability

In summary: Yes. And so does it have a limit as h tends to 0? :smile:No, it does not, so it's not differentiable there. Thanks!
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all

I have f(x)=|x|. This I write as

f(x) = -x for x<0
f(x) = x for x>0
f(x) = 0 for x=0

If I want to show that f(x) is not differentiable at x=0, then is it enough to show that

f'(x) = -1 for x<0
f'(x) = 1 for x>0

and from this conclude that it is not differentiable at x=0? I am a little worried about f(x) at x=0.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're close, but those two statements about f'(x) really only tell you about the derivative at points other than x=0. You need to address f'(0) explicitly and say why it doesn't exist. By definition, you have that

[tex]f'(0) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(h)-f(0)}{h}[/tex]

What are the requirements for this limit to exist?

That the limit is the same when approaching it from both sides?

So if I write what I wrote in my OP and add that f'(0) does not exist because it is not the same when going to 0+ and 0-, then f'(0) is not defined?

Niles said:
That the limit is the same when approaching it from both sides?

So if I write what I wrote in my OP and add that f'(0) does not exist because it is not the same when going to 0+ and 0-, then f'(0) is not defined?

Hi Niles! :smile:

As vela :smile: has indicated, you're missing the point …

you don't need to use results related to one-sided differentials (and you'd have to state those results, and prove that they give you the answer you want, which would be very roudn-about) …

just use the definition of f'(0) (choose a delta, and describe what happens :wink:).

tiny-tim said:
just use the definition of f'(0) (choose a delta, and describe what happens :wink:).

Uhm, I'm a little confused now. I understand that my mission is to show that f'(0) does not exist.

I can show that it isn't continuous (is that what you mean when you say choose a delta?), but differentiability => continuity, so showing that it is not continuous won't help me that much :confused:

You're making this too complicated …

forget f'(x), just use (f(x+h)-f(x))/h …

[STRIKE]describe how (f(x+h)-f(x))/h behaves around x= 0, and show that that means that it has no limit.[/STRIKE]

describe how (f(h)-f(0))/h behaves around h = 0, and show that that means that it has no limit. :smile:

Last edited:
tiny-tim said:
describe how (f(h)-f(0))/h behaves around h = 0, and show that that means that it has no limit. :smile:

For x<0 it is -1, and for x>0 it is 1, but I am not sure this is what you are referring to?

Niles said:
For x<0 it is -1, and for x>0 it is 1, but I am not sure this is what you are referring to?

Yes. And so does it have a limit as h tends to 0? :smile:

No, it does not, so it's not differentiable there. Thanks!

Related to Absolute value and differentiability

What is absolute value and how is it differentiable?

Absolute value is a mathematical function that gives the distance of a number from 0 on a number line. It is always positive, meaning it is never a negative number. The absolute value function is not differentiable at 0, as it has a sharp corner or "cusp" at this point. However, it is differentiable for all other values.

What is the difference between absolute value and modulus?

Absolute value and modulus are often used interchangeably, but they are technically different concepts. Absolute value is a function that gives the distance of a number from 0, while modulus is a function that gives the magnitude or size of a complex number or vector. In other words, absolute value is a one-dimensional concept, while modulus is multidimensional.

What is the derivative of the absolute value function?

The derivative of the absolute value function is not a single value, as it depends on the input value. For positive input values, the derivative is 1, while for negative input values, the derivative is -1. At 0, the derivative does not exist as the function is not differentiable at this point.

How is absolute value used in calculus?

Absolute value is used in calculus to find the minimum or maximum values of a function. This is because the absolute value function creates a "V-shaped" graph, and the minimum or maximum point occurs at the vertex of this shape. It is also used in finding the derivative of piecewise functions, where the absolute value function is often used to piece together different parts of the function.

Can a function be both continuous and differentiable at the same time?

Yes, a function can be both continuous and differentiable. A function is continuous if its graph is a single unbroken curve, meaning there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the graph. A function is differentiable if it has a well-defined derivative at each point. A function can be both continuous and differentiable, as long as it does not have any sharp corners or "cusps" like the absolute value function at 0.