Absolute vacuum between atoms?

In summary, the distance between two atoms where nothing exists, no atoms or subatomic particles, is not 'absolute' because there are virtual particles that pervade all of space.
Rishav1
Isn't the distance between two atoms where nothing exists, no atoms or subatomic particles, absolute vacuum?

a place where nothing exists??

I am not too educated in such physics, so please do explain what you say

Physics news on Phys.org
Turns out there is no such thing as 'absolute vacuum' between anything... There are things called 'virtual particles' that pervade all of space and you can see their effect in things like magnetism. Wiki virtual particles and vacuum if you want to know more.

Rishav1 said:
Isn't the distance between two atoms where nothing exists, no atoms or subatomic particles, absolute vacuum?

When you get down to that level, it's not even clear what you mean by "exists". Fundamental particles aren't balls. In fact, we don't know anything about what they ARE. We only know what they do.

Physics doesn't know the answers to the universe. We create little rules for ourselves and see if they work. In electromagnetism, we make up these little arrows at each point in space called a field. In our little model, the field permeates throughout all of space. Is the field "real"? Does it "exist"? It's not really productive to even ask those kinds of questions.

The same goes for atoms and fundamental particles. An atom or a proton, according to QM, is going to have a wave function that exists all throughout space. In most places, it is damn near zero. So between any two atoms, the "empty space" is filled with mathematical constructs we have invented. It's not clear that they exist at all. It's not clear our model is even accurate. All we know is that we can predict results of experiments with them.

In addition to what others have said, I would just point out that between two atoms, you'll still have wavefunctions from atomic electrons. Some of those wavefunctions only die off as [tex]r^n e^{-r/a_0}[/tex], so you really can't even say that the wavefunction is approximately zero between atoms.

so that means, ultimately we know nothing

Rishav1 said:
so that means, ultimately we know nothing
No, that's not what the statements mean.

We can describe the nature of matter and energy and predict behavior in many circumstances quite well. What applies on the macroscopic level, in terms of visualizing or conceptualizing, does not apply to the atomic and subatomic levels. We cannot 'see' subatomic particles, nucleons or quarks, or even electrons, and we do not need to 'see' them in order to understand their nature.

so, ultimately, we don't know whether absolute vacuum exists or not?

IMHO, an absolute vacuum cannot exist because of the constant, virtual particle sea that james was talking about.

Regarding absolute vacuum, what about the void that the universe is expanding into?

Jeff Reid said:
Regarding absolute vacuum, what about the void that the universe is expanding into?

Yeah, that starts to blow the mind.
My assumption, without any knowledge, is that the void also consists of virtual particles.

Jeff Reid said:

The Universe, as far as we know, is not expanding into a void. Rather than taking this thread off topic though, if you'd like more details there are plenty of threads on this in the cosmology forum that discuss this. Or you could ask a new question there.

Rishav1 said:
so, ultimately, we don't know whether absolute vacuum exists or not?

You have to tell us what you mean by "absolute vacuum."

As far as I can tell, what he means is absolute nothingness. As in, a total and complete emptiness.

I'm also inclined to agree with James, that there is always "something" there. In addition, the wavefunction for any electron orbital never quite terminates (don't ask me to quote Schrödinger, I don't know the equation, I just know that the wavefunction is infinite), so there will always be some possibility of there being an electron or something there.

However, I'm not an actual physicist. I'm a "Wikipedia Physicist".

pallidin said:
IMHO, an absolute vacuum cannot exist because of the constant, virtual particle sea that james was talking about.

"Absolute vacuum" is that region of space that's devoid of observable matter and radiations. That means it's a region that doesn't have photons or any baryonic matter. For this reason, an absolute vacuum can exist where there are virtual photons, as virtual photons can't be detected in the first place.
What makes the absolute vacuum impossible? Dark matter/dark energy.

gmax137 said:
You have to tell us what you mean by "absolute vacuum."

by absolute vacuum, i mean sumwhere where nothing at all exists... no atoms... no subatomic particles... no nothing...

if you say about the virtual particles... then, what about the space between those particles?

Rishav1 said:
by absolute vacuum, i mean sumwhere where nothing at all exists... no atoms... no subatomic particles... no nothing...
This is self contradicting ..
that "sumwhere" would not allow a absolute vacuum (what ever it was) to exist.

On the other hand you can put plenty of nothing that interacts with nothing anywhere as long as it neither takes time or space.
The other way around, it is the existence of something that generates space and time.
Space and time have no meaning if there is nothing that experiences the time elapsing or traveling from A to B.

Neo_Anderson said:
virtual photons can't be detected in the first place

Being another wikipedia physicist I can be wrong, but seems to me that while we can't detect virtual photons, we can detect effect of their presence (see Casimir effect). If we can see effect of their presence, that means they do exist.

Rishav1 said:
if you say about the virtual particles... then, what about the space between those particles?
It's virtual particles all the way down!

Rishav1 said:

Absolutely. Do not be intimidated by individuals who are by and large very well informed, but in this case have no more data or knowledge about absolute vacuums than you. At best their answers - like mine - are shots in the dark.

It's chicken and egg. Virtual particles form in the proximity to an absolute vacuum. That infers the existence - no matter how temporary - of an absolute vacuum.

Rishav1 said:

a place where nothing exists??

I am not too educated in such physics, so please do explain what you say

The word "Absolute" leads to nothing but a "No" to your question.

Even the tiny space between atoms/particles would be filled with radiation, for example, no matter how weak they are. Perhaps this is easier to imagine.

Even the vacuum has energy. It's called vacuum energy.

It was set to a non-zero value very shortly after the Big Bang.

HammerBoy said:
The word "Absolute" leads to nothing but a "No" to your question.
Even the tiny space between atoms/particles would be filled with radiation, for example, no matter how weak they are. Perhaps this is easier to imagine.

Speculation. Rational speculation, but still speculation.
An absolute vacuum might exist - not as a space with nothing in it, but a volume with no space in it. Keep in mind the mysterious 'dark matter' that no scientist has seriously come to grips with, at least at the time of this missive...

Gfellow said:
An absolute vacuum might exist - not as a space with nothing in it, but a volume with no space in it. Keep in mind the mysterious 'dark matter' that no scientist has seriously come to grips with, at least at the time of this missive...

So, your argument is: "absolute vacuum might exist because there are things about the universe we haven't solved yet?"

While technically valid, it's a meaningless answer.

I think the original question carries with it the implicit condition "in the universe as we currently understand it".

Last edited:
Jeff Reid said:

I would say we cannot say anything about it until the universe expands into it.
From my personal perspective of science and modeling, you cannot model this therefore it really does not exist to us until our universe expands. We can call it a void or whatever but that is giving it a quality. I don't see how we can say anything about "it". I even think it is possible to say the universe creates the idea of space as it expands.

I personally have no problem with saying there is nothing beyond our universe. Just like it seems obvious to me time does not exist without events. I would like a comment to help me in my view(s) if you see an obvious flaw. This is coming from a person who was not trained as a physics guy.

bjornmose said:
On the other hand you can put plenty of nothing that interacts with nothing anywhere as long as it neither takes time or space.
The other way around, it is the existence of something that generates space and time.
Space and time have no meaning if there is nothing that experiences the time elapsing or traveling from A to B.
Yikes.
I did not read this.
This is how I would have put it.

pgardn said:
I would say we cannot say anything about it until the universe expands into it.
From my personal perspective of science and modeling, you cannot model this therefore it really does not exist to us until our universe expands. We can call it a void or whatever but that is giving it a quality. I don't see how we can say anything about "it".
There is one thing we can say about it: it is wrong.

pgardn said:
I even think it is possible to say the universe creates the idea of space as it expands.
Better. The universe creates space as it expands, yes. But it is not expanding into anything.

DaveC426913 said:
There is one thing we can say about it: 1. it is wrong.

Better. The universe creates space as it expands, yes. But it is not expanding 2. into anything.

First bolded... Whaaa? Line drive over my head. Could you explain? What exactly is wrong? The idea of referring to anything beyond our universe as it?

Second bolded. Exactly how I would have liked to put it. many tanks.

Last edited:
pgardn said:
First bolded... Whaaa? Line drive over my head. Could you explain? What exactly is wrong? The idea of referring to anything beyond our universe as it?

You say : "...until the universe expands into it."
and " ...it really does not exist to us until our universe expands. "

Both phrases suggest that you are thinking there is something into which the universe is expanding (even if there's nothing we can say to describe that something).

This is a miconception. The universe is able to increase its dimensions by expanding, but this does not require that there be a something to expand into.

DaveC426913 said:
The universe is able to increase its dimensions by expanding, but this does not require that there be a something to expand into.

Could be distances don't change, we are just getting smaller and smaller, and those observing us from outside the jar have to use stronger and stronger microscopes.

But I am afraid this will be soon deleted, as personal theories are not allowed.

DaveC426913 said:
So, your argument is: "absolute vacuum might exist because there are things about the universe we haven't solved yet?"
A leading question, don't you think? Do you feel it is too speculative to suggest that virtual particles appear within the presence of absolute vacuums?
I think the original question carries with it the implicit condition "in the universe as we currently understand it".
It would be prudent to make it abundantly clear to those requesting information in this string, that on the subject of absolute vacuums the caveat ought to be that we are dealing with rational quasi-explanations with few firm understandings based on sound observation and experiment. In short, there are no authorities on this subject.

DaveC426913 said:
You say : "...until the universe expands into it."
and " ...it really does not exist to us until our universe expands. "

Both phrases suggest that you are thinking there is something into which the universe is expanding (even if there's nothing we can say to describe that something).

This is a miconception. The universe is able to increase its dimensions by expanding, but this does not require that there be a something to expand into.

Yep. Thats why I put "it" in quotations in my first post. And also why I put does not exist. But I see that my verbage could have indicated what you stated. Thanks.

I am having a hard time understanding how we could even detect an absolute vacuum. Virtual particles might surround an absolute vacuum... how would that be detected?

I was not aware nor believe(perhaps wrong) that virtual particles can currently be detected.

Have not yet taken the time to peruse your link, Gfellow. Will do this shortly.