Absolute Min/Max, Bounded region

In summary, the absolute minimum and maximum values of the function f(x,y) = e1-2x2-y2 on the closed and bounded region x2 + y2 <= 1 are -1 and 0, respectively. These values are attained at the points (pi/2,0) and (3pi/2,0).
Iconate

Homework Statement

Find the abs min/max values of the function

f(x,y) = e1-2x2-y2

on the closed and bounded region x2 + y2 <= 1

The Attempt at a Solution

First I have to find the critical points

Dfx = (-4x)e1-2x2-y2
Dfy = (-2y)e1-2x2-y2

Clearly e1-2x2-y2 cannot equal 0, therefore

x=y=0, Critical point is (0,0)

Now, my professor has done most of these problems by setting
[tex]\nabla[/tex]f = [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\nabla[/tex]g, the gradients of each function

Even with this method yields x=0 and y=0 to be the only solution.

I am not too sure how to incorporate the bounded region into this question.

Do I just look at x=0 and y=0 of x2 + y2 = 1?
This would result in x2 + 0 = 1
x=y= +/- 1 giving me two points, (-1, -1), and (1,1), however f(-1,-1) > 1 and

f(1,1) = e-2 thus a min/max value for the function?

Is this correct? Any insight would be great, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Neither of the points you found is in your region, which is a circular disk of radius 1, centered at (0, 0).

How am I supposed to proceed then using my critical point and incorporating the bound?

I guess since it is a disk, I can use sin(t) and cos(t) as the coordinates to represent the boundry c(t)= (sint, cost) 0 <= t <= 2[tex]\pi[/tex]

f(c(t)) = e1-2sin2t-cos2t ?

At both of the boundaries 0 and 2[tex]\pi[/tex] , f = 1.

Kinda confused otherwise on computing this

You need to check f at all points on the boundary, not just at t = 0 and t = 2pi. Your exponent on e is 1 - 2sin2 t - cos2 t. I would use an identity to get this exponent in terms of sin or cos alone.

Ah ok so now I have

e-sin2x

Now the max and min values of the sin function are [tex]\pi[/tex]/2 and 3[tex]\pi[/tex]/2

These are the values I look at?

The maximum and minimum values of the sine function are 1 and -1, and they are attained when x is pi/2 and 3pi/2, respectively. The maximum value of -sin2 x is 0, which is attained at x = 0, x = pi, and x = 2pi. The minimum value of this function is -1, attained at x = pi/2 and x = 3pi/2.

Related to Absolute Min/Max, Bounded region

What is Absolute Minimum/Maximum?

Absolute minimum/maximum refers to the lowest or highest value of a function within a given interval or domain. It is also known as the global minimum/maximum.

What is a Bounded Region?

A bounded region is a region that is limited by a specific boundary or set of boundaries. In mathematical terms, it refers to a region that has a finite area or volume.

How is Absolute Minimum/Maximum Calculated?

The absolute minimum/maximum can be calculated by finding the critical points of a function, which are the points where the derivative is equal to zero or does not exist. The values of the function at these points, along with the endpoints of the interval, are then compared to determine the absolute minimum/maximum.

What is the Difference Between Absolute and Local Minimum/Maximum?

The main difference between absolute and local minimum/maximum is that the absolute values represent the lowest or highest point of the entire function, while local values only represent the lowest or highest point within a specific interval or neighborhood.

Why is Absolute Minimum/Maximum Important in Science?

Absolute minimum/maximum is important in science because it helps in identifying the most extreme values of a function, which can provide useful information about a system or process. It is also used in optimization problems to find the most efficient or optimal solution.