Absolute Max/Min of a Trig Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the max and min values of trig functions over a set interval. The first step is to find the derivative of the function and set it to 0 to find the critical points. However, with trig functions, you may need to use trig identities to rewrite the function and solve for the critical points.
Sczisnad
I am having some issues with going about finding the max and min of trig functions over a set interval. Normally with finding the max and min of a function over an interval the first thing that I do is find the derivative of that function, Then i set the derivative to 0 and solve to find the critical points. Now this is where I run into problems...

Ex. Find the Max/Min values of f on the interval [0,pi/2] f(t)=2cos(t)+sin(2t)My work:

f(t)=2cos(t)+sin(2t) "the original function"

f'(t)=2cos(2t)-2sin(t) "I found it's derivative"

0=2cos(2t)-2sin(t) "finding where f' is equal to 0"

0=cos(2t)-sin(t) "simplified"

But now what? With a normal function you get a nice x=?,?,? ...

SO how can i find the critical values for a trig function and how can I then find the Max and Min over a set interval?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use trig identities to rewrite [tex]\cos(2t)[/tex] entirely in terms of [tex]\sin^2t[/tex]. This will leave you with a quadratic equation in terms of [tex]\sin t[/tex] to solve.

So you need to solve cos(2t)-sin(t)=0. Is suggest you first use the formula cos(2t)=1-2sin²(t). Then you have a quadratic equation in sin(t) which can be solved with the usual methods...

Related to Absolute Max/Min of a Trig Function

What is the definition of absolute maximum and minimum of a trigonometric function?

The absolute maximum and minimum of a trigonometric function refers to the highest and lowest value that the function can take on within a given interval, without any restrictions or limitations.

How are the absolute maximum and minimum of a trigonometric function determined?

The absolute maximum and minimum of a trigonometric function can be determined by finding the critical points of the function, which are the points where the derivative of the function is equal to zero, and then evaluating the function at these points.

What is the relationship between the absolute maximum and minimum of a trigonometric function and its graph?

The absolute maximum and minimum of a trigonometric function correspond to the highest and lowest points on the graph of the function, respectively. These points are also known as the local maximum and minimum points.

Can a trigonometric function have more than one absolute maximum or minimum?

Yes, a trigonometric function can have more than one absolute maximum or minimum if the function has multiple local maximum or minimum points within the given interval. In this case, all of the local maximum and minimum points would also be the absolute maximum and minimum points.

How can the absolute maximum and minimum of a trigonometric function be used in real-life applications?

The absolute maximum and minimum of a trigonometric function can be used in real-life applications to determine the maximum and minimum values of a particular phenomenon or process. For example, in engineering, these values can be used to find the strongest and weakest points of a structure, while in economics, they can be used to determine the highest and lowest prices of a product.