Absolute Convergence of a Series

In summary, the homework statement is asking whether a series converges, absolutely converges, or diverges. The attempted solution states that the series converges to 15/4 and is a little confused about how to handle alternating geometric series. However, the ratio test can be used to show convergence. Absolutely convergent series can only be verified with the ratio test.
forestmine

Homework Statement

I'm given this series and asked whether it converges, absolutely converges, or diverges.

Ʃ(n=0 to infinity) [2(-1^n)(3^(n+1))]/5^n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer states that it is absolutely convergent, and that it converges to 15/4. Everything I've done doesn't get me to this answer. It's driving me nuts!

On the one hand, we can say it's an alternating series. So, by the alternating series test, I took the limit of b_n, and right off the bat, I can't seem to get that to equal 0, which by the alternating series test, would say that the series diverges.

So then, I tried the ratio test. I know that for the ratio test, if the limit of the ratio is < 1, the series converges. If I pull out the 2 and then use the ratio test, I do in fact get a number that is < 1, but multiplying it by 2, doesn't get me anywhere near 15/4.

I really don't know where to go from here. Obviously I'm using these tests incorrectly, but I can't see how... :/

Anyone help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Using the ratio test to show convergence by showing the limit ratio is less than 1 is one thing. You can show absolute convergence that way. But that doesn't say anything about what the sum of the series is. Here's a hint: Factor out a 3 and think about geometric series. And show some work so we can figure out where you are going wrong.

Ok, in that case, I'm a little confused about how to handle alternating geometric series.

I can get down to 6*(-1)^n * (3/5)^n

But the (-1) is throwing me off. I want to say that r=3/5, and a=6, and then using a/1-r, I have

6/(1-3/5) = 15.

So I suppose I'm somewhat on the right track...

forestmine said:
Ok, in that case, I'm a little confused about how to handle alternating geometric series.

I can get down to 6*(-1)^n * (3/5)^n

But the (-1) is throwing me off. I want to say that r=3/5, and a=6, and then using a/1-r, I have

6/(1-3/5) = 15.

So I suppose I'm somewhat on the right track...

Almost. Put the ##-1^n## in with the ##(\frac 3 5)^n##. It's OK for the ratio to be negative.

Ah, got it. Thank you so much!

So in general, if I'm dealing with an alternating geometric series, the (-1)^n can just be multiplied by whatever other factors I have that are raised to the n.

And as for absolutely convergent, the only test that will verify that is the ratio test, as that deals with the absolute value, correct?

What about this alternating series test? I imagine using that should also prove convergence in this case (although not a value to which the series converges). How would I take the limit of b_n. If I use L'Hopital's, I continuously wind up with a number raised to n minus some value, and thus can't seem to get the limit to equal 0.

forestmine said:
Ah, got it. Thank you so much!

So in general, if I'm dealing with an alternating geometric series, the (-1)^n can just be multiplied by whatever other factors I have that are raised to the n.

And as for absolutely convergent, the only test that will verify that is the ratio test, as that deals with the absolute value, correct?

Any test of the absolute value series that shows it converges would do. The ratio test is an obvious first thing to try.
What about this alternating series test? I imagine using that should also prove convergence in this case (although not a value to which the series converges). How would I take the limit of b_n. If I use L'Hopital's, I continuously wind up with a number raised to n minus some value, and thus can't seem to get the limit to equal 0.

Once you know it converges absolutely you can forget about the alternating series test.

For your question about ##b_n##, use the fact (or prove it if you haven't seen it) that ##r^n\rightarrow 0## as ##n\rightarrow \infty## if ##|r|<1##.

Thanks again for the help.

You've definitely helped clear some things up for me. (:

Related to Absolute Convergence of a Series

What is absolute convergence of a series?

Absolute convergence of a series is a type of convergence in which the series converges to a finite value regardless of the order in which the terms are added. In other words, the series converges when the absolute values of the terms converge.

What is the difference between absolute convergence and conditional convergence?

The difference between absolute convergence and conditional convergence is that absolute convergence guarantees convergence to a finite value, while conditional convergence does not. In conditional convergence, the series may converge or diverge depending on the order of the terms.

How do you test for absolute convergence of a series?

To test for absolute convergence of a series, we can use the Comparison Test, Ratio Test, or Root Test. If the limit of the absolute values of the terms is less than 1, then the series is absolutely convergent.

Can a series be absolutely convergent but not convergent?

No, a series cannot be absolutely convergent but not convergent. If a series is absolutely convergent, it must also be convergent. However, the converse is not true. A series can be convergent but not absolutely convergent.

Why is absolute convergence important?

Absolute convergence is important because it allows us to rearrange the terms of a series without changing its value. This is known as the Riemann Rearrangement Theorem. It also helps in determining the convergence or divergence of a series, as absolute convergence guarantees convergence to a finite value.