About the need of reviewing previous courses

In summary, it is important to remember the material from prerequisite courses, as it will be used in higher level courses. Doing well on exams does not necessarily mean learning the material. It is recommended to review older material and evaluate your learning strategy. As a university teacher, not being comfortable with prerequisite material is a common issue among students. It is a good idea to review material when possible, and even create review notes for future use.
ramzerimar
Hey folks,
As a sophomore in MechE, I'm now taking a first course in Engineering Statics, and the prerequisites to this class are Physics I and Linear Algebra. I did well in those classes in past semesters, but I can't really say that I remember everything. I wonder how much do you usually need to remind?
Also, it's a good idea to be always reviewing such things, or just do it when you really need to?

Physics news on Phys.org
If a class has prerequisites, it will generally mean that the knowledge you should have acquired in these courses is going to be used. An important thing to remember here is that doing well on an exam is generally not the same thing as learning. If you feel you do not remember what you have learned and what you should have learned is a prerequisite, it is a very good idea to review the material. It should also be a wake up call to think about evaluating your learning strategy as it will generally be the case that higher courses will build upon earlier ones. You should not expect courses to review the necessary prerequisites for you and not learning and remembering the earlier courses will usually get you into trouble at a later stage.

I am not saying you need to remember everything, but you should at least be comfortable with most of the material or be able to remind yourself quickly. As a university teacher, one of the main problems I see among students is not being comfortable with the prerequisite material.

It's always good to review older material when you get the chance, especially in engineering.

It might even be a good idea to condense a course into a good set of review notes. Right now you're reviewing to help with a new class, later it will be to prepare for an interview. May as well start building the habit/notes now.

Related to About the need of reviewing previous courses

1. Why is it important to review previous courses in scientific research?

Reviewing previous courses in scientific research is important because it allows scientists to build upon existing knowledge and findings. This helps to avoid repeating experiments and allows for the advancement of research in a more efficient and accurate manner.

2. How often should previous courses be reviewed?

The frequency of reviewing previous courses may vary depending on the specific field of research and the rate of new discoveries. However, on average, it is recommended to review previous courses at least once a year to stay updated on any new developments.

3. What are the potential benefits of reviewing previous courses?

Reviewing previous courses can have several benefits, such as identifying any gaps in knowledge, finding potential new research directions, and improving the understanding of current research topics. It can also help to strengthen the quality of research and increase the chances of obtaining significant results.

4. How can one effectively review previous courses?

To effectively review previous courses, it is important to have a clear understanding of the research topic and objectives. One can start by reading relevant literature, attending conferences and seminars, and discussing with colleagues and experts in the field. It is also helpful to keep track of any new publications or developments in the field.

5. Is it necessary to review previous courses before starting a new research project?

Yes, it is highly recommended to review previous courses before starting a new research project. This ensures that the research is built upon a strong foundation and can help to avoid any potential errors or repetitions. It also helps to ensure that the research is relevant and up-to-date.