About a load calculation -- Roller selection for a plate straightining maching

In summary, you need to calculate the total amount of energy (plastic strain times yield stress) for the worst case straightening, and determine the time to pass that section through the straightening machine. You then divide total work by time to get power. You multiply by a suitable safety factor to cover unknowns, and compare to available power and gear ratio. You adjust the gear ratio or power as indicated, then go back to Step 2. You repeat steps 2 through 5 until the motor and gear ratio meet the needs.
pankaj kishor verma
i am making a plate straightining maching for 25x2100 mm plate.
motor- 30 hp and 960 rpm
worm reduction gear box- 100:1
Please tell me about the selection of roller by which i can straight the plate, and gear also.. if center distance between gear is 280 mm

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
pankaj kishor verma said:
i am making a plate straightining maching for 25x2100 mm plate.
motor- 30 hp and 960 rpm
worm reduction gear box- 100:1
Please tell me about the selection of roller by which i can straight the plate, and gear also.. if center distance between gear is 280 mm
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

By your dimensions, are you saying the plates are 2 meters wide by 2.5cm thick? Or 2.5cm wide by 2 meters long (by how thick?)? What is the material? Have you worked with plate straightening machines in the past? How straight do you need the final product to be, and how will you measure it to be sure that it meets specifications?

Likes dlgoff
Do some web research on plate rolling. I think you will find that this is much more a mechanics problem than an electrical problem.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

By your dimensions, are you saying the plates are 2 meters wide by 2.5cm thick? Or 2.5cm wide by 2 meters long (by how thick?)? What is the material? Have you worked with plate straightening machines in the past? How straight do you need the final product to be, and how will you measure it to be sure that it meets specifications?
material is EN 8, wrongly any plate be bend , then i'll use this straightening machine,
to check the straightness of sheet, we set sensor at both outer side pinch roller

Dr.D said:
Do some web research on plate rolling. I think you will find that this is much more a mechanics problem than an electrical problem.
i know sir...but driver roller be connected through motor and worm reduction gear box, but i don't understand how i select gear box and motor for good job

The procedure is as follows:
1) Calculate the total amount of energy (plastic strain times yield stress) for the worst case straightening.
2) Calculate the time to pass that section through the straightening machine.
3) Divide total work by time to get power.
4) Multiply by a suitable safety factor to cover unknowns.
5) Compare to available power and gear ratio. Adjust the gear ratio or power as indicated, then go back to Step 2.
6) Repeat steps 2 through 5 until the motor and gear ratio meet the needs.

A book that covers Step 1 is Metal Forming, Mechanics and Metallurgy by Hosford and Caddell. There are probably better books available, that happens to be the one that I used in grad school If you need more detail, find an engineer that understands the procedure above. It is not practical to go into more detail in this forum.

Likes anorlunda and berkeman

Related to About a load calculation -- Roller selection for a plate straightining maching

1. What is a load calculation?

A load calculation is a process of determining the amount of weight or force that a machine or structure can safely handle without breaking or being damaged. It involves analyzing various factors such as material strength, dimensions, and operating conditions to determine the maximum load that can be applied.

2. Why is a load calculation important for roller selection?

A load calculation is important for roller selection because it helps ensure that the rollers chosen can support the weight of the material being processed by the machine. Using rollers that cannot handle the load can lead to equipment failure, production delays, and safety hazards.

3. What factors are considered in a load calculation for roller selection?

Some of the factors that are typically considered in a load calculation for roller selection include the weight and dimensions of the material being processed, the speed and pressure of the rollers, and the type and quality of the rollers themselves.

4. How do I perform a load calculation for roller selection?

Performing a load calculation for roller selection typically involves gathering information about the material and machine, using mathematical formulas to calculate the load, and then comparing the results to the load-bearing capacity of various types of rollers.

5. Can a load calculation change over time?

Yes, a load calculation can change over time. Factors such as wear and tear on the machine, changes in material properties, and alterations to the machine's operating conditions can all affect the load calculation and may require periodic re-evaluation.