Abaqus2 - Kinematic Coupling VS Rigids

In summary, Kinematic coupling in Abaqus and Rigids in Nastran are two methods used to tie the displacement of one node to another node. Kinematic coupling uses a function to determine the displacement of the second node based on the displacement of the first node. This function can be simple, such as Tx2 = Tx1, or more advanced. On the other hand, Rigids in Nastran use rigid bar finite elements, which rigidly weld the parts together to achieve the same displacement. It is important to note that RBE3 is not a rigid element and should generally be avoided due to potential incorrect results.
harsunra
What is the difference between Kinematic coupling in Abaqus and Rigids in Nastran?
Why it is named as Kinematic Coupling... what is the physics behind the word kinematic and rigids?

Engineering news on Phys.org
My vague impression is, kinematic coupling ties the displacement (motion) of node 2 to node 1, using a function such as Tx2 = function(Tx1), where T means translation, and x means global x axis. In its simplest form, the above kinematic coupling function could be Tx2 = Tx1, which means node 2 follows exactly the displacement of node 1. Or, you could make the kinematic coupling more advanced, such as Tx2 = 0.5*Tx1.

Another way to achieve Tx2 = Tx1 is to use a rigid bar finite element, such as RBAR or RBE2. A rigid element rigidly welds the parts together.

Aside: Keep in mind, RBE3 is not a rigid element. RBE3 creates force equilibrium, but not displacement compatibility. Therefore, generally always avoid RBE3, except in very simple situations where you are sure you know what you are doing. E.g., perhaps (?) use RBE3 only if you want to distribute a force or mass from a node that has no other element connected to it, but you do not want a valid displacement compatibility between the parts. You can get very strange, grossly incorrect results using RBE3. E.g., let's say you want to distribute a force from the center of a bolt hole to the hole edge. Sounds fairly benign, doesn't it? Well, the stresses in the plate can be completely wrong garbage. I am unable to clearly explain RBE3, except to say, generally always avoid RBE3, whenever possible.

Related to Abaqus2 - Kinematic Coupling VS Rigids

1. What is the difference between Kinematic Coupling and Rigids in Abaqus?

Kinematic Coupling and Rigids are both types of constraints available in Abaqus for simulating mechanical systems. Kinematic Coupling is a type of constraint that allows for relative motion between two bodies, while Rigids constrain the motion of the bodies to be completely rigid.

2. When should I use Kinematic Coupling versus Rigids in my simulation?

The choice between Kinematic Coupling and Rigids depends on the specific behavior you want to model in your simulation. If you want to allow for relative motion between two bodies, Kinematic Coupling would be the appropriate choice. However, if you want to simulate a completely rigid body, Rigids would be the better option.

3. How do I set up a Kinematic Coupling in Abaqus?

To set up a Kinematic Coupling in Abaqus, you will need to first define a reference point on each body that will be coupled. Then, you will need to create a Kinematic Coupling constraint between the two reference points, specifying the type of coupling and any additional parameters.

4. Can I use both Kinematic Coupling and Rigids in the same simulation?

Yes, it is possible to use both Kinematic Coupling and Rigids in the same simulation. This can be useful for modeling complex systems that require both types of constraints.

5. Are there any limitations to using Kinematic Coupling or Rigids in Abaqus?

There are some limitations to using Kinematic Coupling and Rigids in Abaqus. For example, Kinematic Coupling can only be applied between two surfaces that have compatible mesh density and element types. Rigids also have limitations in terms of the degrees of freedom they can constrain and the type of elements they can be used with.