A*x=B, linear algebra problem.

In summary, the problem is to find the equation for a circuit in the frequency domain that represents the current through a node. The equation is A*x=B, where x is a vector that represents the currents in the node. The equation is consistent but the data given is wrong. The attempt at a solution is to redefine the x vector to: -0.52, 0.26 - i0.966, and 0.26 + i0.966. The sum of the currents is then equal to zero.
colossus__

Homework Statement

The problem is rather simple. A set of linear equations, in the form V=Z*I, is given to represent a circuit in the frequency domain. The values for the V and I vectors are given and i have the Z(impedance) matrix written in function of the Z1, Z2, Z3,...,Zn variables?

In a simpler way: How to solve the A*x=B equation, when the values for the x and B vectors are given, and A is written in function of A1, A2, A3,...,An variables.
In my case, the A matrix looks like this:
|A1 -A2 0 |
|A1 0 -A3|
|1 1 1 |

x vector:
0.259 - i0.966
0.259 + i0.966

B vector:
150 + i0.342
-150 + i0.342

Homework Equations

As simple as stated before, the only equation is the A*x=B. My example with all the complex numbers is not the best to ask for help in this subject, but it's the one that has led me to it.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far i have tried algebraic manipulation of the A*x=B equation multiplying it by A^-1 in the attempt to somehow reduce the matrix into a vector or any of the vectors into a matrix.

I tought maybe eigenvectors and eigenvalues could be involved in the solution of this problem, but since i don't have any linear algebra books around and don't really remember how to use this stuff, I'm hoping you guys could help me with this one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not that hard. Just multiply A by the vector x and equate the resulting vector to B. That gives you three linear equations in the three unknowns A1, A2, A3. Actually, I'll save you a little time. The (1,1,1) row of the matrix times x gives (-0.26)+2*0.259. That's not zero but the third component of B is zero. That makes the system inconsistent. Is there a typo in there somewhere?

Last edited:
You pointed it right, there is something wrong with the system. I went back to the question and found that the data given is wrong. The sum of the currents in the node in question is not equal to zero, therefore we have this problem.

I found this question in a test that is now 2 years old, and I'm actually surprised that none of the students who took the test noticed this mistake.

We could try to redefine the x vector to:
0.26 - i0.966
0.26 + i0.966

Now the sum is really equal to zero. I just don't know if this will mess up with the balance in the rest of the system.

I tried using your suggestion to solve the problem, it ended up looking like this:
(in a step by step version)

[tex]
\begin{bmatrix}
A_1 & -A_2 & 0\\
A_1 & 0 & -A_3\\
1 & 1 & 1
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
x_1\\
x_2\\
x_3
\end{bmatrix}
=
\begin{bmatrix}
B_1\\
B_2\\
B_3
\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{bmatrix}
x_1A_1 & -x_2A_2 & 0\\
x_1A_1 & 0 & -x_3A_3\\
x_1 & x_2 & x_3
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
1\\
1\\
\end{bmatrix}
=
\begin{bmatrix}
B_1\\
B_2\\
B_3
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{bmatrix}
x_1 & -x_2 & 0\\
x_1 & 0 & -x_3\\
\frac{x_1}{A_1} & \frac{x_2}{A_2} & \frac{x_3}{A_3}
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
A_1\\
A_2\\
A_3
\end{bmatrix}
=
\begin{bmatrix}
B_1\\
B_2\\
B_3
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Using the actual values,

[tex]
\begin{bmatrix}
-0.52 & -0.26 + i0.966 & 0\\
-0.52 & 0 & -0.26 - i0.966\\
\frac{-0.52}{A_1} & \frac{0.26 - i0.966}{A_2} & \frac{0.26 + i0.966}{A_3}
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
A_1\\
A_2\\
A_3
\end{bmatrix}
=
\begin{bmatrix}
150 + i0.342\\
-150 + i0.342\\
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

And i still got no clue on how to solve it with those divisions by An that showed up now.

You are doing some strange matrix manipulations. If you really want to write this as a matrix equation the last row should really be [0,0,0] and B3 should be 0. There's no A dependency in the last equation. Which brings us to the next problem, now you only have two equations in three unknowns. There are many solutions.

Related to A*x=B, linear algebra problem.

1. What is a linear algebra problem?

A linear algebra problem involves solving for unknown variables in a system of linear equations, using techniques such as matrix operations and Gaussian elimination.

2. What is the difference between a matrix and a vector?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables, while a vector is a one-dimensional array of numbers or variables. In the context of linear algebra, a matrix represents a system of equations while a vector represents the unknown variables.

3. How do you solve for unknown variables in a linear algebra problem?

To solve for unknown variables in a linear algebra problem, you can use techniques such as Gaussian elimination, which involves transforming the system of equations into an equivalent form with a simpler solution.

4. What is the purpose of using matrices in linear algebra?

Matrices are useful in linear algebra because they allow us to represent and manipulate systems of equations in a concise and efficient manner. They also provide a systematic way to solve for unknown variables in a system of equations.

5. How is linear algebra used in real-world applications?

Linear algebra has many applications in various fields, such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. It is used to solve problems involving systems of equations, optimization, data analysis, and more.