A weight suspended by two strings

In summary, Homework equation states that the tension in two strings is the sum of the tensions in the individual strings. If one string is removed, the weight will accelerate in the Y-direction.
LLR

Homework Statement

A weight is suspended by two strings at two different angles (the picture is included in the attempted solution)
a.) Find the expressions for the tension in each of the strands
b.) Assuming the tension, T1, does not change, what will be the acceleration of the weight if the second string is released?

Homework Equations

ΣF = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics_help_1.png

Physics_help_2.png

This is my attempted solution for the problem. A) I think I'm good with but if there's something wrong please point it out. B) is where I really have trouble. I'm not sure I did accel in the Y correctly (I had substituted the equation for T2 into my B equation, sorry I didn't show that).

I just feel like I'm missing something here, like it should be simpler than that. Also I am unsure if there will be acceleration in the X. But if there was I imagine I would figure it similarly to the way I did Y[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
A is not finished. The two expressions that you obtained refer to each circularly.

In B, you have to assume that tension 2 disappears, while tension 1 is entirely present.

Okay, let me start with A and see if I'm on the right track

Lets say I keep what I got for T2. Would I substitute that in for the second equation and solve for T1? My algebra is admittedly kind of rusty, and I'm having trouble isolating both T1s by themselves when I do that

In A, you had two starting equations. You used one of the to obtain the relationship between tensions. Use the other one to determine the tensions completely.

Physics.png

Kind of like this? Or am I not doing this correctly?

EDIT: Obviously I didn't solve this yet, but when solved would this be correct? I haven't solved it because I have trouble getting T1 by itself since there is two of them in the equation

LLR said:
Physics.png

Kind of like this? Or am I not doing this correctly?

EDIT: Obviously I didn't solve this yet, but when solved would this be correct? I haven't solved it because I have trouble getting T1 by itself since there is two of them in the equation
Yes. How would you rewrite 5x+3x so that there is only one x?

Physics.png

This is what I end up getting but it really doesn't seem right. Once again I apologize for my incredibly rusty algebra

No that is not correct. You need to brush up on your algebra.

Rusty is a good term. Dissolve some of the rust by
* taking one step at the time
* doing on the right the same what you do on the left
* rewriting things like T1 bla + T1 da as T1 (bla + da)
* gradually bringing what you want to know (T1) to one side
so

T1 bla + T1 da - mg = 0
T1 ( bla + da) - mg = 0 ##\ \ \ \ \ ## group terms with T1
T1 ( bla + da) = mg ##\ \ \ \ \ ## add mg to left and right
T1 = mg/( bla + da) ##\ \ \ \ \ ## divide by ( bla + da) left and right (make sure it's never zero)

Physics_1.png

Physics_2.png

Something like this? I have two versions as I was unsure whether to combine the terms or divide the sin

Thank you all for your replies though, it has been a while since any sort of math class and I know I'm still really rough on it

Version 2 step 2: You should divide both terms on the right by sin theta2

Physics_3.png

Alright, so using the same methods as above I solve for T2 in a similar manner. This should take care of part A, assuming this is correct?

Physics_accel_Y.png
Physics_accel_x.png

I went ahead and plugged in the equations from part A to solve part B, let me know if I messed up somewhere please

LLR said:
Physics_accel_Y.png
Physics_accel_x.png

I went ahead and plugged in the equations from part A to solve part B, let me know if I messed up somewhere please
In your ay calculation you failed to cancel an m. There should be no mass terms in the answer.
All your answers can be simplified by multiplying top and bottom by cos theta2. It's a bit ugly having a division inside a division.
There is a quicker way to get (b) having got (a). Since T1 doesn't change, the only difference in the system of forces is the removal of T2. This is equivalent, as far as the mass is concerned, to adding a force -T2. So the acceleration is -T2/m.

So the final answer would look something like this?
Phy.png

Or am I multiplying the top and bottom wrong?

I aplogize I forget to remove the extra m from this one, but I'm a bit confused as to why it would cancel. The starting equation has 1 m on one side, and 2 on the other. Wouldn't only one m on each side cancel then?

And I'm afraid I'm not quite following why it would only be a = -T2/m. Why would T1 not be factored into it?

Thank you for your reply!

LLR said:
So the final answer would look something like this?
Phy.png

Or am I multiplying the top and bottom wrong?

I aplogize I forget to remove the extra m from this one, but I'm a bit confused as to why it would cancel. The starting equation has 1 m on one side, and 2 on the other. Wouldn't only one m on each side cancel then?

And I'm afraid I'm not quite following why it would only be a = -T2/m. Why would T1 not be factored into it?

Thank you for your reply!
The m should cancel as a common factor. If you can't get that to happen, post all your steps.
Since the system is in equilibrium before T2 is removed, the other forces must add up to -T2. When T2 is removed, they still add up to -T2 (since T1 doesn't change).

Related to A weight suspended by two strings

1. What is the principle behind a weight suspended by two strings?

The principle behind this setup is known as the "equilibrium of forces." This means that the weight is held in place by the balance of the tension forces of the two strings pulling in opposite directions.

2. How does the angle of the strings affect the weight's stability?

The angle of the strings can affect the stability of the weight because it determines the amount of tension in each string. A wider angle means more tension, which can make the weight more stable and less likely to move.

3. Can the length of the strings impact the weight's movement?

Yes, the length of the strings can also impact the weight's movement. A longer string will have more "give" or flexibility, which can make the weight more susceptible to movement. A shorter string will be sturdier and provide more stability to the weight.

4. What factors can cause the weight to move in this setup?

There are a few factors that can cause the weight to move in this setup. These include changes in the tension of the strings, external forces acting on the weight, and changes in the angle of the strings.

5. How is this setup used in real-life applications?

This setup is commonly used in physics experiments to demonstrate the principles of equilibrium and tension. It is also used in engineering and construction to understand the stability of structures and the effects of tension on different materials.