A Vector Problem for a balloon

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem involving finding the magnitude and angle of displacement of a balloon that has drifted 2.5km north, 3.0km east, and 1.6km in elevation. The person asking for help has attempted to solve it using north and east vectors, but is unsure about how to handle the elevation vector. A hint is given to use trigonometry to solve the problem.
shaiqbashir
Hi!

Well this is the problem which is so much confusing because I am not sure what method to follow while solving it. Plz Help me!

"A balloon drifts 2.5km north, 3.o Km east and 1.6 Km in elevation from its release point. find the magnitude of the displacement and the angle the displacement vector makes with the horizontal."

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
What's you contribution so far to solving this problem...?

Daniel.

Hi!

Well u have asked me about my contribution, listen i have try to make a north-directioned vector(2.5Km) then an Ease-directioned vector(3 Km) and now I am getting confused that how to make that elevation vector, should i try to make it from my starting point then what will be its direction will it be vertically upward?

Plz help me, i have a very short time!
Thanks

It doesn't matter.HINT:The resulting vector when adding the 2 N & E vectors is the orthonormal projection of the vector u wish to uniquely determine on the Oxy (choosen he axis as Ox & Oy respectively) plane.U'll have to use the tangent function and Pythagora's theorem in a right triangle.

Daniel.

Related to A Vector Problem for a balloon

1. What is a vector problem for a balloon?

A vector problem for a balloon is a mathematical problem that involves determining the direction and magnitude of forces acting on a balloon, such as wind or air resistance, in order to predict its trajectory.

2. Why is it important to solve vector problems for balloons?

Solving vector problems for balloons is important for accurately predicting their flight path, which is essential for tasks such as weather forecasting and designing efficient hot air balloons.

3. How do you calculate the force vectors acting on a balloon?

To calculate the force vectors acting on a balloon, you need to consider the direction and magnitude of each force, and use vector addition to determine the net force on the balloon.

4. Can you use vector problems for balloons to predict their landing location?

Yes, by solving vector problems for balloons, you can accurately predict their landing location by considering the direction and magnitude of forces acting on the balloon throughout its flight.

5. Are there any real-life applications of vector problems for balloons?

Yes, vector problems for balloons have many real-life applications, including weather forecasting, hot air balloon design, and tracking the trajectory of weather balloons.