A typical monthly utility rate / Current and resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses a typical monthly utility rate structure and how to calculate the charge for a specific amount of kWh used. The solution involves a straightforward computation and there is no need for guessing or finding a pattern in the numbers. The final answer can be easily obtained by adding the cost of each tier of kWh used.
johann1301h

Homework Statement

A typical monthly utility rate structure might go something like this: $1.60 for the first 16 kWh, 7.05 cents/kWh for the next 34 kWh used, 5.02 cents/kWh for the next 50 kWh, 3.25 cents/kWh for the next 100 kWh, 2.95 cents/kWh for the next 200 kWh, 2.35 cents/kWh for all in excess of 400 kWh. Based on these rates, what would be the charge for 327 kWh?

The Attempt at a Solution

Here are a few guesses how I think it should be solved
- Take the average between 2.35 cents/kWh and 2.95 cents/kWh.
- Find a function that "fits" these data and use that function for 327 kWh.

Physics news on Phys.org
johann1301h said:

Homework Statement

A typical monthly utility rate structure might go something like this: $1.60 for the first 16 kWh, 7.05 cents/kWh for the next 34 kWh used, 5.02 cents/kWh for the next 50 kWh, 3.25 cents/kWh for the next 100 kWh, 2.95 cents/kWh for the next 200 kWh, 2.35 cents/kWh for all in excess of 400 kWh. Based on these rates, what would be the charge for 327 kWh?

The Attempt at a Solution

Here are a few guesses how I think it should be solved
- Take the average between 2.35 cents/kWh and 2.95 cents/kWh.
- Find a function that "fits" these data and use that function for 327 kWh.
Why would you feel the need for an approximation when the math to get the exact answer is so utterly trivial?

Is it? I don't see it as trivial...

Is there an obvious exact answer?

Where do current and resistance (in the title of your OP) come into play?

P = V^2/R
P = I^2*R
P = I*V

Power, voltage, resistance and current are not mentioned in the problem statement.

The problem is given in a chapter called Current and resistance

johann1301h said:
Is there an obvious exact answer?
yes

I have tried seeing a pattern in the numbers;

16 34 50 100 200 400

but I can't see one

johann1301h said:
I have tried seeing a pattern in the numbers;

16 34 50 100 200 400

but I can't see one
There's no need for guessing here. There's just a straightforward computation. Suppose the bill was for 50 kwh. The first 10 cost $1.60, so 40 kwh remain, The next 34 cost 7.05, so that's 34x7.05. and 6 kwh remain. The next 50 cost 5.02/kwh, but there is only 6 left to pay for. Compute 1.60+34*7.05+6*5.02 and you're done.

Thanks, this was way simpler than I thought!

Related to A typical monthly utility rate / Current and resistance

1. What is a typical monthly utility rate?

A typical monthly utility rate refers to the cost that a consumer pays for basic utilities such as electricity, water, and gas. The rate is typically charged on a monthly basis and can vary depending on the location, type of utility, and consumption.

2. How is the current in a circuit measured?

The current in a circuit is measured using an ammeter, which is a device that measures the flow of electric charge through a conductor. The unit of measurement for current is amperes (A).

3. What factors affect the resistance of a material?

The resistance of a material is affected by several factors including the material's type, length, cross-sectional area, and temperature. Different materials have different inherent resistances, longer materials have higher resistance, thicker materials have lower resistance, and higher temperatures can increase resistance.

4. How does resistance impact the flow of current in a circuit?

Resistance can impede the flow of current in a circuit by reducing the amount of current that can pass through a given material. The higher the resistance, the less current will flow through the circuit. This can cause a decrease in overall circuit performance and can also generate heat in the circuit.

5. What is the relationship between current and resistance in a circuit?

According to Ohm's Law, the relationship between current and resistance in a circuit is directly proportional. This means that as the resistance increases, the current decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation I = V/R, where I is current, V is voltage, and R is resistance.