A small task with Newton's Laws

In summary, Santa is flying in his sleigh 836,6 feet (250 meters) above the ground. To save time, he will let the packets fall from the sack down the chimney of a house. The package is not broken by this treatment as Santa Claus, knows a top-secret trick. The chimney he must frame is 10 meter (32,8 feet tall.)The Attempt at a SolutionI have an idea about the first task, but i am lost with the second.If Santa were to drop the presents from directly above the chimney - they would miss! Why?Your task now is to help Santa to determine where he will let go of the package, so that it
Jirya

Homework Statement

I have been given a small task. There is two parts. (I have translated it from another language):

"Santa is flying in his sleigh 836,6 feet (250 meters) above the ground. To save time, he will let the packets fall from the sack down the chimney of a house. The package is not broken by this treatment as Santa Claus, knows a top-secret trick. The chimney he must frame is 10 meter (32,8 feet tall.)

How long does it take the package to drop down the chimney?

To save the most time a efficiency pixie suggests that Santa must let go of the packages while he is at full speed instead of stopping. Thus he doesn't need to stop at each house.

Your task now is to help Santa to determine where he will let go of the package, so that it hits its target. Remember to be precise - otherwise there are no gifts for Christmas!

It is reported that the slide speed is 1200 km / h, and that can be ignored air resistance - this is another one of Santa's hitherto secret tricks.

Homework Equations

Okay. I know I need to use Newton's Law about gravitation - and I need the accelaration.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have an idea about the first task, but i am lost with the second.

I can find the fall time with this equation:
h = ½·g·t^2

Then I just have to isolate for t.

t^2=h / ½ / g
t^2 = 240 meter / ½ / 9,82
t^2 = 48,87
t = √48,87
t = 6,99 ≈ 7 seconds

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Jirya said:
I have an idea about the first task, but i am lost with the second.
if Santa were to drop the presents from directly above the chimney - they would miss! Why?

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
if Santa were to drop the presents from directly above the chimney - they would miss! Why?

Thank you.

Hey, It made me think about something.

I guess, you would miss, because the object will fall with a parabolic trajectory in the same direction the plane is flying.

But ..

Doesn't the object have the same speed as Santa Claus? in this case 1200 km/hour?

So now I have the speed of the package and the time it takes to fall down. That means that I can solve this easily with this equation:

t * v = distance

So I just have to calculate how far the package will move in 7 seconds, which is 2.3 kilometers. Or am I wrong?

* I have attached a small graphic

Screen Shot 2014-01-01 at 08.58.08.png

It is correct.

ehild

Just to make sure.

How long does it take the package to drop down the chimney?
- Around 7 seconds.

Your task now is to help Santa to determine where he will let go of the package, so that it hits its target.
- 2333.333 meters before the chimney.

Can one of you confirm that these results are correct?

And by the way, thank you very much for your help Simon and ehild.

It is 2333 m before reaching above the chimney. -2333 m before is 2333 m after.:smile:

ehild

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
It is 2333 m before reaching above the chimney. -2333 m before is 2333 m after.:smile:

ehild

Oh, the "-" was not written on purpose. But thank you for the heads up! :)

Have a great day.

Happy New Year to you!:smile:

ehild

Well done :)

Related to A small task with Newton's Laws

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental laws that describe the behavior of objects in motion. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are still widely used in physics today.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in a straight line at a constant speed, unless acted upon by an outside force.

3. What is the second law of motion?

The second law, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

4. What is the third law of motion?

The third law, also known as the Law of Action and Reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal force in the opposite direction.

5. How are Newton's Laws applied to a small task?

Newton's Laws can be applied to a small task by understanding the forces acting on the objects involved and how they affect the motion of those objects. For example, if you are pushing a book across a table, the first law explains why the book stays in motion once you stop pushing, the second law explains how much force is needed to move the book, and the third law explains the interaction between your hand and the book.