A simple rotational motion question

In summary, the problem involves a solid cylinder with three particles mounted on its curved surface, initially at rest and pivoted at its center. The question is to find the angular speed of the cylinder when it is swung through 900 in the counterclockwise direction. It was initially thought that the question did not provide enough information, but it was later realized that the cylinder is horizontal and rotating due to the mass on its left side. Using energy conservation, the answer was found.
nil1996

Homework Statement

A solid cylinder of mass M =1kg and radius 0.5m is pivoted at its centre and has three particles of mass m=0.1 mounted at its perimeter on the curved surface.The system is initially at rest.Find the angular speed of the cylinder,when it is swung through 900 in anticlockwise direction.
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/3603/4ufn.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

According to me it is impossible to find the angular velocity as the time taken to spin it in 900 is not given.So i think that the the question doesn't give complete information.Am i right??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct.

something clicked me right now.The cylinder is horizontal and the cylinder is rotating in anticlockwise direction due to the mass(which is exerting torque at the centre of cylinder) on the left of it.Now can we find the angular velocity when it is spun 90 degrees.

Yes sir i was wrong.By using energy conservation i found the answer.

nil1996 said:
i think that the the question doesn't give complete information.Am i right??
This statement is correct - as originally presented in post #1, the following information was not provided: that the cylinder is horizontal, held at rest, and then released so it is free to swing under gravity.

Well done for making the connection BTW.

Aside: When typing English, there is customarily a space after a the period at the end of a sentence. Also after other punctuation marks, see how I write? It makes the sentences easier to read.

i shall take care of it next time.

Thanks

Related to A simple rotational motion question

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is a type of motion in which an object rotates around an axis. It is different from linear motion, where an object moves in a straight line. In rotational motion, the object maintains a fixed distance from the axis of rotation while its direction constantly changes.

2. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around an axis, while linear velocity is the rate at which an object moves in a straight line. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

3. How is rotational motion related to torque?

Rotational motion is directly affected by torque, which is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. The greater the torque applied, the more an object will rotate.

4. What is the difference between rotational inertia and mass?

Rotational inertia is the resistance of an object to changes in its rotational motion, while mass is the measure of an object's resistance to changes in its linear motion. Rotational inertia is dependent on both the mass and distribution of mass in an object.

5. How is rotational motion used in real-life applications?

Rotational motion is used in many real-life applications, such as the movement of wheels, gears, and pulleys. It is also used in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, and in machines like motors and turbines. Understanding rotational motion is crucial in designing and optimizing these systems for efficiency and safety.