A Simple(?) Differential Equation

In summary, the question asks to find the distance an object moves in time t with an acceleration of d^2/dt^2 = ge^(-kt), and to show that for small t the result is approximately x = 1/2(gt^2) and for large t, the velocity is approximately constant. The solution manual gives the solution as x=k^(-1)gt + k^(-2)g(e^(-kt)-1). The attempt at a solution involves integrating both sides of d^2/dt^2 = ge^(-kt) twice with respect to t, but this leads to incorrect results. The correct equations are: a = ge^(-kt), v = -g/k * e^(-
blintaro
This is question 1.4 of Chapter 8 of Mary L. Boas's Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences, Edition 2. I'm using it as a substitute for my ordinary differential equations class since my textbook has apparently been lost somewhere in the mail.

Homework Statement

Find the distance which an object moves in time t if it starts from rest and has an acceleration d^2/dt^2 = ge^(-kt). Show that for a small t the result is approximately (x = 1/2(gt^2)) and for very large t, the velocity dx/dt is approximately constant. (This problem corresponds roughly to the motion of a parachutist.)

Homework Equations

The solution manual gives the solution as: x=k^(-1)gt + k^(-2)g(e^(-kt)-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I integrated both sides of d^2/dt^2 = ge^(-kt) twice with respect to t, ending up with x = k^(-2)ge^(-kt) + v_0(t) + x_0.
However substituting t=0 into the equation gives x = g/(k^2) + x_0, not (1/2)gt^2, so, obviously on the wrong track.

I put the process in an attached image below since it might be easier to read that than my terrible equation formatting. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-07-05 at 1.33.40 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-07-05 at 1.33.40 PM.png
    120.9 KB · Views: 891
Physics news on Phys.org
blintaro said:
This is question 1.4 of Chapter 8 of Mary L. Boas's Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences, Edition 2. I'm using it as a substitute for my ordinary differential equations class since my textbook has apparently been lost somewhere in the mail.

Homework Statement

Find the distance which an object moves in time t if it starts from rest and has an acceleration d^2/dt^2 = ge^(-kt). Show that for a small t the result is approximately (x = 1/2(gt^2)) and for very large t, the velocity dx/dt is approximately constant. (This problem corresponds roughly to the motion of a parachutist.)

Homework Equations

The solution manual gives the solution as: x=k^(-1)gt + k^(-2)g(e^(-kt)-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I integrated both sides of d^2/dt^2 = ge^(-kt) twice with respect to t, ending up with x = k^(-2)ge^(-kt) + v_0(t) + x_0.
However substituting t=0 into the equation gives x = g/(k^2) + x_0, not (1/2)gt^2, so, obviously on the wrong track.

I put the process in an attached image below since it might be easier to read that than my terrible equation formatting. Thanks!

Please post your equations instead of images of them as per forum rules. Your integrations are not correct. For example, if ##x''(t) = ge^{-kt}##, then ##x'(t) = -\frac g k e^{-kt} + C##. When you put ##t=0## in both sides you do not get ##C = v_0##.

Here are the equations in a latex format:

##\vec a = ge^{-kt}##
##\vec v = - \frac{g}{k} e^{-kt} + c_1##
##\vec r = \frac{g}{k^2} e^{-kt} + c_1t + c_2##

Using the initial condition ##r(0) = 0##, you should get something useful.

##- \frac{g}{k^2} = c_2##

The initial condition that ##v(0) = 0## also gives you some more information.

##\frac{g}{k} = c_1##

Then:

##\vec r = \frac{g}{k^2} e^{-kt} + \frac{g}{k} t - \frac{g}{k^2}##

Likes 1 person
Oh, I see! So that's how to deal with the c's that wind up after integration. Excellent, thank you very much!

Related to A Simple(?) Differential Equation

1. What is a simple differential equation?

A simple differential equation is an equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It typically involves one independent variable and one or more dependent variables.

2. How do you solve a simple differential equation?

To solve a simple differential equation, you need to use mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or substitution. The solution will involve a constant known as the arbitrary constant.

3. What is the purpose of using differential equations in science?

Differential equations are used in science to model and describe various natural phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and motion of objects. They provide a way to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems.

4. Can a simple differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a simple differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the solution to a differential equation involves an arbitrary constant, which can take on different values and result in different solutions.

5. What are some real-life applications of simple differential equations?

Some real-life applications of simple differential equations include modeling the spread of diseases, predicting stock market trends, and understanding the behavior of electrical circuits. They are also used in engineering, physics, and economics, among other fields.