A series for sin az / sin pi z in complex analysis

In summary, the problem is to show that for all a such that -\pi < a < \pi, the given equation is true. This is an exercise in using Mittag-Leffler's theorem and the result has already been proven for a=0. The difficulty lies in showing the uniform convergence of the series on every compact subset of C, which is needed to extend the solution to all real values of a through a continuity argument.
Gunni

Homework Statement

Show that

[tex] \frac{\sin (az)}{\sin (\pi z)} = \frac{2}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{+\infty} (-1)^n \frac{n \sin (an)}{z^2 - n^2} [/tex]

for all a such that [tex] - \pi < a < \pi [/tex]

Homework Equations

None really, we have similar expansions for [tex]\pi cot (\pi z)[/tex] and [tex] \pi / \sin (\pi z) [/tex], this is an excersize in using Mittag-Leffler's theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is that I can't show the series is uniformly convergent on every compact subset of C. Once that's done I've got a solution for every rational multiple of pi, which I think can be extended to all real a with a continuity argument. Any thoughts on the convergence problem? It's driving me mad.

Physics news on Phys.org
I should also note that I have the result for a=0, which gives \frac{1}{\sin (\pi z)} = \frac{2}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{+\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{z^2 - n^2} which turns out to be uniformly convergent on every compact subset of C.

Related to A series for sin az / sin pi z in complex analysis

1. What is the definition of "A series for sin az / sin pi z" in complex analysis?

The series for sin az / sin pi z is a power series expansion that represents the complex function sin(az)/sin(pi*z) around a point a in the complex plane. It is given by the formula ∑n=0^∞ (a^n*z^n)/(n!*(pi*z)^n).

2. What is the radius of convergence for the series sin az / sin pi z?

The radius of convergence for the series sin az / sin pi z is equal to the distance from the center a to the nearest singularity of the function sin(az)/sin(pi*z). This can be calculated using the Cauchy-Hadamard formula.

3. How does the series for sin az / sin pi z relate to the concept of Laurent series?

The series for sin az / sin pi z is a special case of the Laurent series, which is a power series expansion that represents a complex function around a point in the complex plane. The difference is that the Laurent series includes negative powers of z, while the series for sin az / sin pi z only includes positive powers.

4. Can the series for sin az / sin pi z be used to evaluate the function at any point in the complex plane?

No, the series for sin az / sin pi z is only valid for values of z that are not equal to 0 or integer multiples of 1/pi. This is because these values of z would make the denominator sin(pi*z) equal to 0, resulting in a division by 0 error. Therefore, the series can only be used to evaluate the function at points where it is not singular.

5. How is the series for sin az / sin pi z related to the trigonometric functions sin and cos?

The series for sin az / sin pi z is derived from the Taylor series for both sin and cos functions. By substituting the power series expansions of sin and cos into the formula for sin az / sin pi z and simplifying, we can obtain the series for sin az / sin pi z. This shows the close connection between the two functions in complex analysis.