A rocket is launched kinematics

In summary: The correct answer is 19.6 m/s. Therefore, the total distance traveled in the first 16s is 5100 - 19.6 = 5080.4 m.3. then i took the 2nd equation and plugged in that to find the accleration5080.4 = 0 + 0 + 1/2a(16^2)a = 39.83 m/s^2In summary, the rocket's acceleration during the first 16 seconds is 39.83 m/s^2.
Jennifer001

Homework Statement

a 1000kg weather rocket is launched straight up, the rocket motor provides a constant accerelation for 16s, then the motor stops. the rocket altitude 20s after launch is 5100m you can ignore any effects of air resistance.

what is the rocket's acceleration during the first 16s

Homework Equations

d=[Vf^2-Vi^2]/2a
delta x= xi+viT+1/2aT^2
vf-vi=aT

The Attempt at a Solution

just checking my answer since there isn't one in the back of the book.. so this is what i did

1. i first found the distance of the 4s after the motor stop

t=4s a=-9.8m/s^2 Vf=0
so i found Vi
vf-vi=aT
0-Vi=-9.8(4)
Vi=39.2m/s

2. then i use thosenumbers and plugged it into the 1st equation

d=[vf^2-vi^2]/2a
d=0-39.2/[2*-9.8]
d=2

therefore the total distance traveled in the first 16s is 5100-2m = 5098m

3. then i took the 2nd equation and plugged in that to find the accleration

5098=0+0+1/2a(16^2)
a=39.83m/s^2

Did i get the right answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jennifer001,

Jennifer001 said:

Homework Statement

a 1000kg weather rocket is launched straight up, the rocket motor provides a constant accerelation for 16s, then the motor stops. the rocket altitude 20s after launch is 5100m you can ignore any effects of air resistance.

what is the rocket's acceleration during the first 16s

Homework Equations

d=[Vf^2-Vi^2]/2a
delta x= xi+viT+1/2aT^2
vf-vi=aT

The Attempt at a Solution

just checking my answer since there isn't one in the back of the book.. so this is what i did

1. i first found the distance of the 4s after the motor stop

t=4s a=-9.8m/s^2 Vf=0
so i found Vi
vf-vi=aT
0-Vi=-9.8(4)
Vi=39.2m/s

2. then i use thosenumbers and plugged it into the 1st equation

d=[vf^2-vi^2]/2a
d=0-39.2/[2*-9.8]
d=2

You did not square the 39.2 m/s here.

I cannot confirm the accuracy of your calculations without knowing the specific values of the variables used. However, your methodology seems correct and your answer appears to be in the correct range. I would suggest checking your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. Additionally, it may be helpful to label your variables in your calculations to avoid confusion.

Related to A rocket is launched kinematics

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object over time.

2. What are the three equations of motion in kinematics?

The three equations of motion in kinematics are:
- x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2 (equation for displacement)
- v = v0 + at (equation for velocity)
- v^2 = v0^2 + 2a(x-x0) (equation for acceleration)

3. How is kinematics used in rocket launches?

Kinematics is used to calculate the trajectory and motion of a rocket during launch. This involves analyzing the initial velocity of the rocket, the acceleration due to gravity, and the effects of air resistance on the rocket's flight path.

4. What is the difference between linear and angular kinematics?

Linear kinematics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line, while angular kinematics deals with the motion of objects in a circular or rotational path. In rocket launches, both types of kinematics are important to consider as the rocket moves both linearly and angularly during flight.

5. How does the mass of a rocket affect its kinematics?

The mass of a rocket affects its kinematics in two main ways. First, a heavier rocket will require more thrust to overcome its weight and achieve acceleration. Second, a heavier rocket will experience more resistance from air and therefore have a slower acceleration. Both of these factors can impact the rocket's trajectory and flight path.