A Refresher from Calc I to DiffEQ?

• Thread starter TheNE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffeq
In summary, the person is seeking help with their NukeE courses which require the use of calculus and differential equations. They have taken these courses in the past but are struggling to remember the material. They are looking for recommendations on how to refresh their knowledge, and someone suggests using "pauls notes" as a resource. The person responds that they have already looked at pauls notes, but sometimes it can be difficult to understand the material.
TheNE
I need some help, guys. I've taken Calc I -> DiffEQ, but I don't remember everything well. My NukeE courses are growing increasingly difficult (using calculus/diffeq that I forgot how to use). What would you guys recommend doing as a refresher to pick it all back up?! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
if you're going for analytical, rudimentary solutions google "pauls notes" and go from there. he covers everything from single variable to vector calculus, ordinary differential equation and partial diffeq!

he provides some theory but nothing too rigorous (and from what it sounds like you don't want that route anyway).

good luck!

Thank you, joshmccraney. I have examined pauls notes before. They are pretty helpful too! Sometimes discerning the material can be tough though.

Related to A Refresher from Calc I to DiffEQ?

1. What is the main difference between Calculus I and Differential Equations?

The main difference between Calculus I and Differential Equations is that Calculus I focuses on studying and manipulating functions, while Differential Equations deals with studying and solving equations that involve rates of change and multiple variables.

2. Why is it important to review Calculus I before studying Differential Equations?

It is important to review Calculus I before studying Differential Equations because many concepts and techniques from Calculus I are used in solving Differential Equations. This includes derivatives, integrals, and basic algebraic operations.

3. What are some topics from Calculus I that are especially relevant to Differential Equations?

Some topics from Calculus I that are especially relevant to Differential Equations include limits, derivatives, integrals, and basic algebraic operations. These concepts are used in finding solutions to differential equations and understanding their behavior.

4. How can a refresher on Calculus I help with understanding and solving Differential Equations?

A refresher on Calculus I can help with understanding and solving Differential Equations by providing a solid foundation in the basic concepts and techniques used in solving these equations. It can also help with recognizing patterns and applying methods from Calculus I to solve more complex differential equations.

5. Are there any specific topics or techniques from Calculus I that are essential for understanding Differential Equations?

Yes, there are several topics and techniques from Calculus I that are essential for understanding Differential Equations. These include derivatives, integrals, and basic algebraic operations, as well as understanding functions and their behavior. It is also important to have a strong understanding of trigonometric functions and their properties.