A question regarding General Stokes' Equation

In summary, we prove the integral of a vector field over a 3-dimensional hypersurface is equal to the integral of its partial derivative over the entire volume using Stokes' Equation and the identity of the determinant of an alternating tensor.
raopeng

Homework Statement

Let [itex]X^{i}[/itex] be a vector field in Minkowski space [itex]R^{4}_{1}[/itex]. We define the integral of this vector over a 3-dimensional hypersurface as the integral of the 3-form [itex]X^{i}dS_{i}[/itex]. where
[itex]dS_{i}=\frac{1}{6}\sqrt{|g|}ε_{jkli} dx_{j}\lambda dx_{k}\lambda dx_{l}[/itex](don't know how to type exterior derivative)

Prove that:
[itex]\int_{∂V} X^{i}dS_{i} = \int_{V} \frac{\partial X^{i}}{\partial x^{i}}dV[/itex]

From "Modern Geometry, Methods and Applications, Vol I", 26.5 Exercise 2

Homework Equations

Stokes' Equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it was pretty simple so I just simply apply the Stokes' Equation which give me something like this:
[itex]\int_{V} \frac{\partial X^{i}}{\partial x^{i}}\frac{1}{6}\sqrt{|g|}ε_{jkli} ε_{ijkl} dx_{1}\lambda dx_{2}\lambda dx_{3}\lambda dx_{4}[/itex]

while we can calculate the value of ε_{jkli} ε_{ijkl} by substituting indexes and considering its relation to the determinant of δ, the coefficient 1/6 is something I cannot get rid of. And it seems the more general form of this equation can be written as:
[itex]\int_{∂V} X^{i}dS_{i} = \int_{V} ∇_{i} X^{i}dV[/itex] where the coefficient becomes [itex]\frac {1}{(n-1)!}[/itex]. But now I cannot make connections with [itex]\frac {1}{(4-1)!}[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I got something, although not sure it is correct:
I made a mistake there that it should be [itex]ε_{imnh} ε_{ijkl}[/itex]. The indexes should not be identical. Then taking advantage of the identity that [itex]ε_{abcd} ε_{efgh} = ε_{abcd} ε_{efgh}δ_{11}δ_{22}δ_{33}δ_{44} = ε_{abcd}δ_{1e}δ_{2f}δ_{3g}δ_{4h}[/itex] which corresponds to a determinant. And in the case of [itex]ε_{imnh} ε_{ijkl}[/itex] we must perform a contraction of the tensor, thereby leaving a (4-1) order determinant which has (4-1)! components of δ with different indexes. However these indexes are identical and can be switched, so this fill explains the coefficient of [itex]\frac{1}{6}[/itex] and can also be extended to the case of n-form

Related to A question regarding General Stokes' Equation

1. What is General Stokes' Equation?

General Stokes' Equation is a mathematical formula used in fluid dynamics to describe the motion of a viscous fluid. It takes into account the effects of viscosity and inertia on the fluid's movement.

2. Who is General Stokes?

George Gabriel Stokes was an Irish mathematician and physicist who developed the equation in the 19th century. He made significant contributions to the study of fluid mechanics and is considered one of the founders of the subject.

3. What is the difference between General Stokes' Equation and Navier-Stokes Equation?

General Stokes' Equation is a simplified version of the more complex Navier-Stokes Equation. It neglects the effects of compressibility and assumes a constant viscosity, making it easier to solve. Navier-Stokes Equation, on the other hand, takes into account these additional factors and is used for more accurate predictions of fluid flow.

4. How is General Stokes' Equation used in real-world applications?

General Stokes' Equation is used in various fields such as engineering, meteorology, and oceanography to model and predict the movement of fluids. It is particularly useful in analyzing the behavior of viscous fluids, such as oil or blood, in pipes or channels.

5. Are there any limitations to General Stokes' Equation?

Yes, General Stokes' Equation has limitations. It assumes the fluid being studied is incompressible and has a constant viscosity, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. It also does not account for turbulence, which can have a significant impact on fluid flow. Therefore, it should be used with caution and in conjunction with other equations and models for more accurate results.