A question on heat transfer and blackbodys

In summary, The first equation \frac{dQ}{dt} = \sigma A T^{4} represents the power emitted by a perfect blackbody. The second equation Q = mc\DeltaT is for convective heat transfer. They cannot be used interchangeably as they represent different types of heat transfer.
pastro
Hello,

I was wondering:
[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt}[/tex] = \sigma A T^{4}
for a perfect blackbody.

Also
Q = mc\DeltaT

If I take the time derivative of the above equation, set it equal to the power emitted by a blackbody, and solve the resulting differential equation for temperature, does that give me the temperature with which a blackbody radiator of a given mass and material cools in vacuum as a function of time?

Just curious...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Ummm, I doubt it.

Equation 1 is for, well, radiation.

Equation 2, as I understand it, is for convective heat transfer.

The two are not really the same thing.

Related to A question on heat transfer and blackbodys

1. What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or system to another due to a difference in temperature.

2. What is a blackbody?

A blackbody is an idealized object that absorbs all radiation that falls on it and emits radiation at all frequencies according to its temperature.

3. How does heat transfer occur in a blackbody?

In a blackbody, heat transfer occurs through radiation because it is a perfect absorber and emitter of radiation at all frequencies.

4. How is heat transfer related to temperature in a blackbody?

In a blackbody, heat transfer is directly proportional to the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings. The higher the temperature, the greater the heat transfer.

5. Why is understanding heat transfer in blackbodies important?

Understanding heat transfer in blackbodies is important because it helps us understand the behavior of objects in extreme temperatures, such as in space or in industrial processes. It also has practical applications in fields like thermodynamics and astrophysics.