Solving a System of Equations for Pulley Accelerations and Tensions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving pulleys and masses attached to strings. The goal is to calculate the accelerations of the masses and the tension in the strings. A system of 4 equations is used to solve the problem, with some changes made based on assumptions about the direction of acceleration and force. The final results are a=-2/13 g and f=+5/13 g.
Chiara
You have a puley on which a light string passes. At one end ofthe string a mass of 5 Kg is attached and on the other end another pulley of mass 1 Kg is attached. A second light string passes over this second pulley. At the extremities of this string two masses of 2 and 1 Kg are attached. Calculate the accelerations of the masses and the tension in the two strings.

I attempted this problem, solving a system of 4 equations:
pulley: 1(9.8)-(T1-T2)= a
5Kg mass: 5(9.8)-T1=-5a
1Kg mass: 1(9.8)-T2=-(f-a)
2Kg mass: 2(9.8)-T2=(f+a) where a=acceleration of 5 Kg mass
F=acceleration of the 1 and 2 Kg masses relative to the second pulley
T1= tension in the first string
T2 Tension in the second string
Where is my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think you made a mistake?

because i don't get the same reult given in the Book

Thank you gnome, but in my problem the second pulley has a mass of 1 Kg.this should complicate the problem . . . I think

Chiara,
from what you wrote, I think I can deduce the following:
You assume a to be positive if 5kg mass goes up.
You assume f to be positive if 1kg mass goes up.
Right?

OK, if so, I have the following changes (let g = 9.8):
pulley: 1g -(T1 - 2T2) = a
I inserted the factor 2 because each of the two branches of the string exerts a downward force of T2 on the pulley.
5kg mass: 5g - T1 = -5a (as you said.)
1kg mass: 1g - T2 = -(f-a) (as you said).
2kg mass: 2g - T2 = 2(f+a)
I inserted the factor 2 because of Newton's law F = ma, so we must have the mass on the RHS.

Is this in better accordance with the book?

I get a=-2/13 g, f=+5/13 g. Is that correct?

yes your answers are correct, Thank you!

1. What is a system of equations in the context of pulley accelerations and tensions?

A system of equations in this context refers to a set of equations that are used to determine the accelerations and tensions of pulleys in a mechanical system. These equations take into account the masses of the pulleys, the forces acting on them, and the forces transmitted through the ropes or belts connecting them.

2. How do you solve a system of equations for pulley accelerations and tensions?

To solve a system of equations for pulley accelerations and tensions, you first need to identify all the variables involved, such as the masses of the pulleys, the forces acting on them, and the forces transmitted through the ropes or belts. Then, you can use algebraic methods, such as substitution or elimination, to solve for the unknown variables and determine the accelerations and tensions of the pulleys.

3. What are the key principles involved in solving a system of equations for pulley accelerations and tensions?

The key principles involved in solving a system of equations for pulley accelerations and tensions include the conservation of energy and the Newton's laws of motion. These principles help to determine the relationships between the forces and accelerations of the pulleys, and ultimately lead to a solution of the system of equations.

4. What are common mistakes to avoid when solving a system of equations for pulley accelerations and tensions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a system of equations for pulley accelerations and tensions include not identifying all the variables involved, not using the correct equations or principles, and making mathematical errors in the calculations. It is important to double check your work and make sure all the equations and variables are correctly used.

5. How can solving a system of equations for pulley accelerations and tensions be applied in real-world situations?

Solving a system of equations for pulley accelerations and tensions can be applied in various real-world situations, such as designing and optimizing pulley systems in industries, calculating the tension and acceleration of elevators or cranes, and understanding the mechanics of weightlifting. It is a useful skill for engineers, physicists, and other professionals who work with mechanical systems.