A question on basics of statistical mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of statistical mechanics and the relationship between the number of particles, energy states, and average number of particles in each state. It also explores the mathematical formulation of g(ε) as the density of states per energy and f(ε) as the probability that a particle occupies a specific energy state. The conversation also touches on how these concepts are applied to derive the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution.
Alpharup
We don't have rigorous approach to statistical mechanics but have an intuitive one.We follow Concepts of Modern Physics by Sir Arthur Beiser.
It is given that
n(ε)=g(ε)f(ε) Here ε is the energy state.
where according to my understanding
n(ε)=number of particles which are present in an energy state ε.
g(ε)=number of states corresponding to energy state ε.
f(ε)=average number of particles in each state.
Is my understanding right? I can't figure this out.
In the next two lines he states that if the energy distribution is continuous rather than discrete, then..
1.The number of energy states between ε and ε+dε(dεis small change in energy) is g(ε)dε.My question is how is this possible? If there are two states, ε and ε+dε. then the number of states between them is g(ε+dε)-g(ε), is it not?
2. The same is said for number number of particles between ε and ε+dε. He says that the number is equal to n(ε)dε,How? Should it not be like g(ε+dε)-g(ε)??

He uses these two assumptions to derive the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution(We don't derive partition function). Please help me out as I need atleast some basic level of understanding(if not rigorous)..

Physics news on Phys.org
For a normal density ρ(x), the amount of matter in a small volume Δχ is ρ(x)Δχ , which one integrates over to find the amount of matter in larger volumes.

Similarly, for the density of states g(ε), the number of states in small energy range Δε is g(ε)Δε.

Likes 1 person
atyy said:
For a normal density ρ(x), the amount of matter in a small volume Δχ is ρ(x)Δχ , which one integrates over to find the amount of matter in larger volumes.

Similarly, for the density of states g(ε), the number of states in small energy range Δε is g(ε)Δε.

I think I got it. Well, my understanding was wrong.Is g(ε) measured over a small interval of energy Δε.
Is this mathematical formulation right?

g(ε)=dn(ε)/dε..here n(e) is the number of states which correspond to a particular energy ε.

sharan swarup said:
I think I got it. Well, my understanding was wrong.Is g(ε) measured over a small interval of energy Δε.
Is this mathematical formulation right?

g(ε)=dn(ε)/dε..here n(e) is the number of states which correspond to a particular energy ε.

Yes, that's right.

atyy said:

also what is the precise meaning of f(ε)?

I don't know the precise definition. It's easiest for me to think of f(ε) before we take energy to be continuous. In that case f(ε) is the probability that a particle occupies a particular state of energy ε. Still keeping energy discrete, g(ε) is the number of states with energy ε. Then the probability that a particle has energy ε is n(ε)=g(ε)f(ε).

After this we make energy continuous so that the probability that a particle has energy between ε and ε + dε is n(ε)dε=g(ε)f(ε)dε. So now g(ε) has become the density of states per energy, just as n(ε) has slightly changed its meaning to the density of particles per energy.

Related to A question on basics of statistical mechanics

1. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to study and understand the behavior of large systems of particles or objects, such as gases, liquids, and solids. It helps explain macroscopic properties of these systems based on the microscopic behavior of individual particles.

2. How does statistical mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is based on Newton's laws of motion and is used to describe the behavior of macroscopic objects. Statistical mechanics, on the other hand, deals with the behavior of large systems of particles and is based on the laws of probability and statistics.

3. What are the key concepts in statistical mechanics?

The key concepts in statistical mechanics include entropy, temperature, and energy. Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a system. Energy is a fundamental quantity that is conserved in all physical processes.

4. What is the role of probability in statistical mechanics?

Probability plays a crucial role in statistical mechanics, as it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of large systems based on the statistical behavior of individual particles. It helps us understand the distribution of particles and their energies in a system, which can then be used to calculate macroscopic properties.

5. How is statistical mechanics applied in real-world situations?

Statistical mechanics has a wide range of applications in various fields, such as thermodynamics, chemistry, and materials science. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as gases in a container, chemical reactions, and the behavior of materials at different temperatures and pressures. It also plays a role in the development of new technologies, such as nanotechnology and renewable energy sources.