A question involvingn safe working voltage and capacitors?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to connect a number of 48uF capacitors to create a new capacitor with specific capacitance and safe working voltage. The homework equations for calculating capacitance in parallel and series are mentioned. The solution for part a involves two capacitors in series with a voltage less than 25V across each capacitor. For part b, the solution is two capacitors in parallel with one single capacitor, though the exact configuration is not specified. The concept of safe working voltage and safe energy is also brought up as a hint for determining the correct configuration.
jackcie
1. Problem Statement
Some capacitors are marked 48uF, safe working voltage 25V.
Show how a number of these capacitors may be connected to provide a capacitor of capacitance:
a) 48uF, safe wroking voltage 50V
b) 72uF, safe working voltage 25V

Homework Equations

obviously C total in parallel = c1 + C2... and 1 / C total in series = 1/ C1 + 1 / C2

3. Attempt at the Solution
for part a) i thought you could have two of the capacitors in parallel, followed in series by another two capacitors in parallel for b) i didnt really have a clue, but perhaps two in series? (im probably wrong!)

the answers state that for part a) "two capacitors in series", such that V < 25V across each capacitor.
for part b)"two capacitors in parallel with a single capacitor"

what is the safe working voltage??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: what is the safe energy in the original capacitor set up?

Related to A question involvingn safe working voltage and capacitors?

1. What is a safe working voltage for capacitors?

The safe working voltage for a capacitor depends on its maximum voltage rating, which is typically listed on the capacitor itself or in its datasheet. It is important to choose a capacitor with a voltage rating that is equal to or greater than the maximum voltage it will be exposed to in a circuit.

2. What happens if a capacitor is exposed to a voltage higher than its safe working voltage?

If a capacitor is exposed to a voltage higher than its safe working voltage, it can become damaged or even explode. It is important to always operate capacitors within their safe working voltage to avoid any potential hazards.

3. How can I determine the safe working voltage of a capacitor?

The safe working voltage of a capacitor can be determined by checking its maximum voltage rating, which is typically listed on the capacitor itself or in its datasheet. It is important to always use the voltage rating as a guide and not exceed it in order to ensure safe operation.

4. Are there any precautions I should take when working with capacitors and high voltages?

Yes, it is important to always handle capacitors with care and to avoid touching any exposed terminals when they are charged. It is also recommended to discharge capacitors before handling them to avoid any potential shocks or accidents.

5. Can I use a capacitor with a lower safe working voltage in a circuit?

No, it is not recommended to use a capacitor with a lower safe working voltage than the maximum voltage it will be exposed to in a circuit. This can lead to damage or failure of the capacitor and potentially cause hazards in the circuit.