A question in groups and presentation

In summary, the purpose of having a group discussion and presentation is to promote collaboration, teamwork, and diverse perspectives. Group roles should be assigned based on strengths and interests, and effective communication strategies such as active listening and using visual aids can enhance understanding and engagement. Conflicts can be resolved through open and honest communication and finding a compromise. Tips for a successful group presentation include practicing, having a clear structure, using engaging visuals, and rehearsing interactions.
Maths Lover
let X(2n) be the group whose presentation is :
( x,y l x^n = y^2 = 1 , xy = yx^2 )

show that if n = 3k then X2n has order 6
and if (3,n)=1 then x satisfies the additional relation x=1 , in this case , deduce that X(2n) has order 2
note that :
x^3 = 1

the idea is :
first step ,
I suppose that S is a set : S= { 1 , x , y , x^2 , xy , yx }
then I proved that the elements of S are distinct " I mean that if a , b belongs to S then it's nessary that a=\= b "

then I proved that S = X(2n )
I did it as follows :
first I proved that every element of X(2n) is a product of finite elements if S
then I proved that any product of finite elements of S equals to some elements of S
the I deduced that every element of X(2n) belongs to S so X(2n) ⊂ S
but S ⊂ X(2n) because {x,y} generates X(2n) then {x,y} ⊂ X(2n) and every possible product of them also belongs to X(2n) because multipication is closed in groups

so X(2n) = S

but
lSl = the order of S = 6
so l X(2n) l = 6

at last , I show that if n is not equal to 3k then elements of S are not distinct so
l s l = 6 if n = 3k

is this idea true ??

the details is long

so I will omit it ,

and I wonder about your ideas to slove this problem ??
I find my one too long

thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your idea is correct. A simpler way of showing that the order of X(2n) is 6 when n = 3k is to note that since x^3 = 1, then for any element g in X(2n), we have g^6 = 1. This implies that the order of X(2n) is 6 or less. Since X(2n) is nontrivial, its order must be 6. If (3,n)=1, then x^n = 1. This implies that x = 1 and thus the group consists only of the identity element. Therefore, the order of X(2n) is 2 in this case.

Related to A question in groups and presentation

1. What is the purpose of having a group discussion and presentation?

The purpose of having a group discussion and presentation is to promote collaboration and teamwork in problem-solving and decision-making. It also allows for a diverse range of perspectives and ideas to be shared and considered.

2. How should group roles be assigned in a discussion and presentation?

Group roles should be assigned based on each member's strengths and interests. This promotes equal participation and contribution from all members and ensures that tasks are delegated effectively.

3. What are some effective communication strategies for a group discussion and presentation?

Some effective communication strategies for a group discussion and presentation include active listening, respectful and clear communication, and using visual aids or technology to enhance understanding and engagement.

4. How can conflicts be resolved in a group discussion and presentation?

Conflicts can be resolved in a group discussion and presentation by promoting open and honest communication, actively listening to each other's perspectives, and finding a compromise or solution that satisfies all members.

5. What are some tips for delivering a successful group presentation?

Some tips for delivering a successful group presentation include practicing beforehand, having a clear and organized structure, using engaging visuals or multimedia, and rehearsing transitions and group interactions.