A question from a calc 1 student

In summary, the equation y=mx+b only works for straight lines because the set of tangent lines to a curve do not necessarily share the same y-intercept b. This is due to the fact that different types of curves have different characteristics and cannot be generalized by a single equation. The equation y=mx+b is specifically for straight lines, and other types of curves have their own unique equations that describe them. This is why the equation f'(x)x + b = f(x) does not hold for all functions.
1MileCrash
[Mentor's note: This post does not contain the template for thread-starting posts in the homework forums, because it was moved from another forum.]

"If f'(x) gives me the slope of f at some point, why doesn't f'(x)x + b = f(x)?"

I have no idea how to answer this. Can you?

How about: it is the slope of the tangent line to some point of the function, and that set of tangent lines do not share the same y-intercept b necessarily, so b is not constant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is b? ;)

and that set of tangent lines do not share the same y-intercept b necessarily
I think this is the main point. For straight lines, the formula works (if we set b=f(0)), for other curves it does not work in general.

mfb said:
What is b? ;)

I think this is the main point. For straight lines, the formula works (if we set b=f(0)), for other curves it does not work in general.

Well, I believe the student was just referring to the "y = mx + b" idea they learn for general line equations. I have to say it was a great question as most calc 1 students seem to just seem to "go through the motions" and that's why I wanted to share.

Clearly, the underlying reason is what we're talking about, but I'm looking for a good way to answer the question without inducing confusion.

EDIT: Errm.. why was this moved to homework help? This is clearly not an actual inquiry nor is it a textbook style question at all.

Last edited:
jtbell moved the thread as it is a homework question (or very similar to one).

Clearly, the underlying reason is what we're talking about, but I'm looking for a good way to answer the question without inducing confusion.
Give a counterexample?

I think explaining why the equation of a straight line happens to be y=mx+b would be a good point to start after that move on to the link between differentials and tangent...

Last edited:

Related to A question from a calc 1 student

1. What is Calculus 1?

Calculus 1 is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the study of change and rates of change. It is typically the first course in a series of calculus courses and covers topics such as derivatives, integrals, and applications of these concepts.

2. What are derivatives?

Derivatives are the fundamental concept in Calculus 1. They represent the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. In other words, they show how a function is changing at a specific point.

3. What are integrals?

Integrals are another important concept in Calculus 1. They represent the accumulation of values over a certain interval. In other words, they can be thought of as the reverse of derivatives, as they allow us to find the original function given its rate of change.

4. What are the applications of Calculus 1?

Calculus 1 has many real-world applications, such as modeling motion, finding maximum and minimum values, and solving optimization problems. It is also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. How can I succeed in Calculus 1?

To succeed in Calculus 1, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry, as well as a good understanding of basic concepts such as limits and continuity. It is also crucial to practice regularly, seek help when needed, and stay organized with notes and assignments.