A question about the characteristic equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of obtaining complex roots when solving a characteristic equation and what this means for the existence of eigenvectors. It is concluded that if the vector space is over the real numbers, the linear transformation may not have eigenvectors, but if it operates on vectors composed of complex numbers, it will have eigenvectors with corresponding complex eigenvalues.
Cygni
Hi PF readers,

When trying to establish [tex]\lambda[/tex] values by solving a characteristic equation (for simplicity of 2x2 matrix) can one produce solution that contains complex roots? If yes, what does that show about the eigenvectors?

Thanks in advance!

Cygni

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can have complex roots. I leave the second part of your question to someone else, as I am not sure how to answer it.

Thanks
Matt

Well, it shows that the eigenvalues are complex numbers! Which means that, since the eigenvalues of a linear transformation from vector space V to itself must belong in the underlying field, if your vector space is over the real numbers that particular linear transformation does not actually have eigenvalues.

Thanks guys, that helped.

I pretty much had an idea that if u get complex solutions in characteristic equation the eigen vectors would not exist as they'd require argand diagram in order to be displayed.

That's not quite right. If you let it operate on vectors composed of complex numbers, it would have eigenvectors and the eigenvalues of those vectors would be the roots you have found.

aPhilosopher said:
That's not quite right. If you let it operate on vectors composed of complex numbers, it would have eigenvectors and the eigenvalues of those vectors would be the roots you have found.

Yes, but if we are dealing with cartesian coordinates, the complex roots obtained from characteristic equation would indictae that there are no possible eigenvectors in that plane. Isn't that correct?

Absolutely correct. Sorry if I missed something

It wasn't you. Cygni missed saying he was talking about vector spaces (or matrices) over the real numbers.

HallsofIvy said:
It wasn't you. Cygni missed saying he was talking about vector spaces (or matrices) over the real numbers.
Apologies for the vagueness in my question :)

Related to A question about the characteristic equation

1. What is the characteristic equation?

The characteristic equation is a mathematical equation used to find the roots of a matrix or system of equations. It is typically written in the form of det(A-xI) = 0, where A is a square matrix, x is an unknown variable, and I is the identity matrix.

2. Why is the characteristic equation important?

The characteristic equation is important because it allows us to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix. These values can provide valuable information about the behavior and stability of a system.

3. How is the characteristic equation used in real-world applications?

The characteristic equation is used in a variety of fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model and analyze systems, such as circuits, structural systems, and population dynamics.

4. Are there any limitations to using the characteristic equation?

While the characteristic equation is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be used for square matrices, and it may not always have real solutions for certain systems. Additionally, it does not take into account non-linearities or external factors that may affect the system.

5. How can I solve the characteristic equation?

The characteristic equation can be solved using various methods, such as the quadratic formula, Gaussian elimination, or using a calculator or computer program. It is also important to note that the solutions to the characteristic equation may not always be exact and may require approximations.