Quadratic form, determine the surface

In summary, the conversation is about finding the eigenvalues of a given equation through matrix representation and using the characteristic equation. The person is stuck at reducing the equation to a 2x2 matrix and asks for help. The expert provides a solution by swapping the last two lines and eliminating the leading -2, and suggests expanding the determinant along the first column.
vincentvance
Hi,

I'm trying to solve this problem and I'm stuck.

What I want to do is determine the kind of surface from this equation:

x2-2y2-3z2-4xy-2xz-6yz = 11

Matrix representation:

1 -2 -1
-2 -2 -3
-1 -3 -3

I want to find the eigenvalues so I write the characteristic equation like this:

1-\lambda -2 -1
-2 -2-\lambda -3
-1 -3 -3-\lambda

(and the goal, of course, is to have this equal to zero to find the eigenvalues - lambda)

Then I want to reduce this to a 2x2 matrix and that's where I get stuck. I've done about 10 other problems similar to this one today and never did I get stuck at this point before, it makes me feel very confused.

Can anyone help me?
Thank you
Vincent

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

vincentvance said:
1-\lambda -2 -1
-2 -2-\lambda -3
-1 -3 -3-\lambda

(and the goal, of course, is to have this equal to zero to find the eigenvalues - lambda)

Then I want to reduce this to a 2x2 matrix and that's where I get stuck.
I would swap the last two lines (this changes the sign of the determinant) and eliminate the leading $-2$ by subtracting double of line $\begin{pmatrix}-1&-3&-3-\lambda\end{pmatrix}$ from line $\begin{pmatrix}-2&-2-\lambda&-3\end{pmatrix}$.
\[
\begin{pmatrix}
1-\lambda&-2&-1\\
-2&-2-\lambda&-3\\
-1&-3&-3-\lambda
\end{pmatrix}
\mapsto
\begin{pmatrix}
1-\lambda&-2&-1\\
-1&-3&-3-\lambda\\
0&4-\lambda&3+2\lambda
\end{pmatrix}
\]
Then I would expand the determinant along the first column.

Related to Quadratic form, determine the surface

1. What is a quadratic form?

A quadratic form is a mathematical expression that contains variables raised to the second power, as well as cross-product terms. It can be written in the form of ax^2 + bxy + cy^2, where a, b, and c are constants and x and y are variables.

2. How do you determine the surface of a quadratic form?

To determine the surface of a quadratic form, you can use the process of completing the square or by graphing the equation. Completing the square involves manipulating the equation to get it in the form of (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2, where (h, k) is the center of the circle and r is the radius. Graphing the equation involves plotting points and connecting them to create a parabolic curve.

3. What is the difference between a quadratic form and a quadratic equation?

A quadratic form is a general expression that can take on different values depending on the values of the variables. A quadratic equation is a specific type of quadratic form that is set equal to zero and solved for the variables. In other words, a quadratic equation is a special case of a quadratic form.

4. How is a quadratic form used in real life?

Quadratic forms have many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model motion, predict the trajectory of a projectile, optimize production processes, and analyze financial data.

5. Can a quadratic form have more than two variables?

Yes, a quadratic form can have any number of variables, but it must have at least two variables raised to the second power. For example, a quadratic form with three variables could be written as ax^2 + bxy + cy^2 + dxz + eyz + fz^2.