A question about GPA for grad schools

In summary, depending on the school, GPA is taken into consideration right off the bat. However, there is a variance for each school and program.
bignum
At which year and what level of courses are GPA taken into consideration?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the school I think, I know mine starts taking it into account right off the bat

xortan said:
Depends on the school I think, I know mine starts taking it into account right off the bat

Oh wow seriously? I live in Canada, does that change anything?

I live in Canada to :P

xortan said:
I live in Canada to :P

Are you comfortable with telling me which institution you are from?

Bcit

It totally depends on the school as far as I know.

novop said:
It totally depends on the school as far as I know.

Oh okay...

Generally they look at all of the marks, but put more emphasis on the last two years. Your overall GPA matters though at most schools, if you have a 4.0 your last year, but a 2.5 total, you still won't get in, and I don't think that's a physics thing, its just a school of graduate studies thing which ultimately have to approve you for acceptance.

Depends on the school, because a friend of mine just got into grad school, and failed a course or two in first year. The prof said he hadn't even noticed (ie wasn't looking at his first year or even maybe second year courses). I think the emphasis is on your senior level courses; but each school is different.

but like someone said previously, I'd assume that if your overall was a 2.5, and your last year was a 4.0, you'd unlikely get in.

although there is a variance for each school and program, almost all physics grad schools in Canada require a B+ average over four years to apply.

I was curious about this as well due to my checkered transcript from my first degree. I originally went into business management and could not pass managerial accounting so I switched over to physics. From the two years of business curriculum I have a GPA of 2.29...ouch. But so far with all classes related to my degree in Physics I have a 3.96. Will they apply the grades from my business days or simply just pay attention to the grades I receive during my physics degree? Thanks

Joe

I am actually asking this because next year when I enter first-year university, I am not sure if I want to my AP credits to exempt me from courses. If I do, does that mean I have to get good grades on electives like languages or writing or history etc...?

Related to A question about GPA for grad schools

1. What is a good GPA for grad school?

There is no one definitive answer to this question as it can vary depending on the program and university. However, generally a GPA of 3.0 or higher is considered competitive for most grad schools.

2. Does my GPA from my undergraduate degree matter for grad school admissions?

Yes, your undergraduate GPA is an important factor in grad school admissions. It is often used as an indicator of your academic ability and potential success in a graduate program. However, it is not the only factor considered in admissions decisions.

3. Can a high GRE score make up for a low GPA?

While a high GRE score can help strengthen your application, it may not necessarily make up for a low GPA. Admissions committees typically consider multiple factors when evaluating applicants, and a strong GPA is still an important factor for most grad schools.

4. Do grad schools only look at my overall GPA or do they consider my major GPA as well?

This can vary depending on the program and university. Some grad schools may only consider your overall GPA, while others may also take into account your major GPA. It is important to research the specific requirements of the grad schools you are interested in.

5. Can I still get into grad school if my GPA is below the minimum requirement?

It is possible to get into grad school with a GPA below the minimum requirement, but it may be more difficult. In this case, you can try to strengthen other aspects of your application, such as your GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and personal statement, to make yourself a more competitive candidate. You can also consider applying to less competitive programs or retaking courses to improve your GPA.