A question about Economics & Style

• Thread starter qwpoi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Economics
In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on editing economics papers for non-native English speakers. They are wondering if there is a handbook or specific style guide for economists, similar to the AP Stylebook or the MLA for English majors. The suggested approach is to look for guidelines from major journals or professional societies in the field of economics, such as the American Chemical Society for chemistry.
qwpoi
Hey all,

I'm not sure if this is the right section to post in, but here goes. I edit economics papers for an economics institute. I don't have a background in economics, and the papers are written by non-native English speakers, so a lot of the time there is confusion as to whether what I'm reading is jargon or just plain wrong.

1) Most of what I need I can find through searching the internet, but is there some sort of handbook for this, kind of like an AP Stylebook for economists?

2) Also, is there an economist-specific style, sort of like the Modern Langauge Association for English majors, in terms of in text citations, footnotes, endnotes, etc etc etc??

Thanks everyone!

I'm not new, but I haven't been around in a very long time, nor was I very prolific in the first place. Hello.

Physics news on Phys.org
For formatting papers in any field, I would look for guidelines from one of the major journals or professional societies in that field. For example, in my own field of (bio)chemistry, the American Chemical Society, which publishes several major chemistry journals, publishes its own style guide.

Related to A question about Economics & Style

1. What is the relationship between economics and style?

The relationship between economics and style is complex and multifaceted. On one hand, economics can influence style through factors such as income, wealth, and consumer preferences. For example, someone with a higher income may be able to afford more expensive, trendy clothing. On the other hand, style can also impact economics, as fashion trends can drive consumer spending and have a significant impact on industries such as retail and fashion.

2. How does style impact the economy?

Style can have a significant impact on the economy, particularly in industries such as fashion, beauty, and retail. Changes in fashion trends can drive consumer spending and influence the success of businesses in these industries. Additionally, the fashion industry provides employment for millions of people and contributes to the global economy through production, distribution, and marketing.

3. What is the role of consumer behavior in economics and style?

Consumer behavior plays a crucial role in both economics and style. It determines how individuals and households allocate their resources and make decisions about which products and services to purchase. In the context of style, consumer behavior can impact the success of fashion trends and the overall performance of industries such as retail and fashion.

4. How does the concept of supply and demand apply to economics and style?

The concept of supply and demand is a fundamental principle in economics and also applies to style. In economics, the price of a product or service is determined by the balance of supply and demand. Similarly, in the fashion industry, the popularity of a particular style or brand can impact its availability and price. High demand for a certain fashion trend can also lead to a shortage of supply, driving up prices.

5. How do economic factors influence fashion trends?

Economic factors such as income, wealth, and consumer preferences can have a significant influence on fashion trends. For example, in times of economic recession, people may opt for more affordable, practical clothing instead of expensive, trendy pieces. Additionally, economic disparities can lead to the development of different fashion subcultures, where certain styles are associated with different socioeconomic groups.