A question about commutaiton between operator

• Thread starter hgnk708113
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
In summary, the Hamiltonian operator and linear momentum operator commute with each other only if the potential is not a function of x, which is not the case for a particle in the box. The wavefunction Nsin(nπx/a) resulting from boundary conditions is not an eigenfunction of the momentum operator, which only has eigenfunctions of the form exp(ikx). This is due to the problem not being translationally invariant and the spectrum being degenerate. Therefore, not all eigenfunctions of one operator are eigenfunctions of the other.
hgnk708113
Hamiltonian operator commutes with the linear momentum operator
and for a particle in the box its wavefunction is Nsin(nπx/a) , N is the normalization constant
But I found this wavefuntion is not a eigenfuntion for the momentum operator, why? Isn't the two operators commut with each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
They only commute if the potential is not a function of x, i.e., if it is translationally invariant. In the case of an infinite square well, this is not the case.

Likes hgnk708113
Thanks for your help.
But I still have a question:
Does "translationally invariant" mean the general solution of Hamiltonian operator for free particle used and no boundary condition?
I have substituted the solution Ae^(ikx)+Be^(-ikx) but it is still not an eigenfunction of mometum operator.

Of course it not an eigenfunction, the problem in itself is not translationally invariant due to the boundary conditions. The eigenfunctions of momentum would be the exp(ikx) functions. These are not in the appropriate Hilbert space (they do not satisfy the boundary conditions). Momentum is not conserved in this problem, which is not particular for the quantum description. Even if you solve the problem classically you get violation of momentum conservation when the particle bounces on the potential walls.

I mean Nsin(nπx/a) is the result of boundary conditions
but Ae^(ikx)+Be^(-ikx) has not been subjected to boundary conditions yet.
It's a free particle, and its potential is not a function of x .
And you said they only commute if the potential is not a function of x.
So I ask second time and I don't know why in this stage they do not commute. (Ae^(ikx)+Be^(-ikx) is not momoentum's eigenfunction.)
I knew momoentum's eigenfunction is exp(ikx) functions, I just want to know where I misunderstand.

Last edited:
That there exists a common set of eigenfunctions does not mean all eigenfunctions of one operator is an eigenfunction to the other. This is only true when the spectrum is non-degenerate, which is not the case here (both the positive and negative exponentials have the same eigenvalue for the Hamiltonian).

Compare with the finite dimensional case of a unit matrix and any other matrix. All vectors are eigenvectors of the unit matrix, but no necessrily of the other one.

Likes hgnk708113

Related to A question about commutaiton between operator

What is operator commutation?

Operator commutation is a mathematical concept in quantum mechanics that describes the ability of two operators to be applied in either order without changing the outcome of a calculation. In other words, the order in which operators are applied does not affect the final result.

What is the commutator of two operators?

The commutator of two operators is a mathematical operation that represents the difference between the two operators when they are applied in different orders. It is defined as the product of the two operators in one order, subtracted from the product of the same operators in the opposite order.

What is the significance of operator commutation in quantum mechanics?

Operator commutation is an important concept in quantum mechanics because it allows us to simplify calculations and make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems. It is also closely related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that certain observables (represented by operators) cannot be measured simultaneously with arbitrary precision.

What are some examples of operators that commute?

In quantum mechanics, there are many pairs of operators that commute, including position and momentum, energy and time, and spin components along different axes. In general, operators that represent observables that are considered to be independent or mutually exclusive will commute.

What are some examples of operators that do not commute?

There are also many pairs of operators that do not commute in quantum mechanics, such as position and angular momentum, energy and angular momentum, and different components of spin. In general, operators that represent observables that are considered to be dependent or complementary will not commute.