A problem on concurrent forces in a plane.

In summary: Your "x" would have to be a function of the angles in the diagram, but it is not clear what this function would be.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle of tilt of a ball on a trough in order for the reactive force at B to be one-third of that at A, assuming all surfaces are perfectly smooth. The relevant equations include Lami's theorem, algebra, and geometry. The attempt at a solution involves deriving a relation between theta and the ratio of the reactions Ra and Rb, but this approach did not lead to a solution. Another attempt involved using the equation theta=x(Ra-Rb), but this also did not lead to a solution. The suggested approach is to draw a free body diagram and
Monsterboy

Homework Statement

[/B]
A ball rests in a trough as shown in figure. Determine the angle of tilt ##\theta## with the horizontal so that the reactive force at B will be one-third at A if all surfaces are perfectly smooth.

2.Relevant equations

Application of Lami's theorem and some algebra and geometry

3.The attempt at a solution

I tried to derive an relation between ## \theta ## and the Ratio between the reactions Ra and Rb ,so at ##\theta## =00 the ratio between the reactions is one and at a particular ##\theta## the ratio becomes 3. The relation goes like this ##f(\theta) = x\frac{Ra}{Rb} ## where ##x## is a constant
This didn't lead me anywhere because there are too many unknowns.

Another equation i can think of is ##\theta ##= x(Ra-Rb) so at ##\theta =0 ## , Ra =Rb at what ##\theta## will Ra=3Rb?? The required angle ##\theta= x(2Rb) ## and ##x= \frac{\theta}{2Rb}##

I don't see this going anywhere either.
Is this the right way to go ?

Attachments

• problem.png
    problem.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,057
Physics news on Phys.org
Monsterboy said:

Homework Statement

°°[/B]
A ball rests in a trough as shown in figure. Determine the angle of tilt ##\theta## with the horizontal so that the reactive force at B will be one-third at A if all surfaces are perfectly smooth.

2.Relevant equations

Application of Lami's theorem and some algebra and geometry

3.The attempt at a solution

I tried to derive an relation between ## \theta ## and the Ratio between the reactions Ra and Rb ,so at ##\theta## =00 the ratio between the reactions is one and at a particular ##\theta## the ratio becomes 3. The relation goes like this ##f(\theta) = x\frac{Ra}{Rb} ## where ##x## is a constant
This didn't lead me anywhere because there are too many unknowns.

Another equation i can think of is ##\theta ##= x(Ra-Rb) so at ##\theta =0 ## , Ra =Rb at what ##\theta## will Ra=3Rb?? The required angle ##\theta= x(2Rb) ## and ##x= \frac{\theta}{2Rb}##

I don't see this going anywhere either.
Is this the right way to go ?
I don't see why you can't draw a FBD of the ball and set up the normal forces on each contact surface using the conditions of static equilibrium.

Remember, the angle θ must be incorporated into the angle of the trough measured w.r.t. the bottom of the wedge. When θ = 0, then these angles will both be 30° as indicated on the diagram.

Likes Monsterboy
Thanks ,i took a little more time than expected to incorporate the angle since i had to imagine the thing to rotate ,i got the answer 16.13 degrees ,is there anyway to derive an equation like the one i mentioned ? i am just trying to find some alternative methods( if there are any).

Monsterboy said:
Thanks ,i took a little more time than expected to incorporate the angle since i had to imagine the thing to rotate ,i got the answer 16.13 degrees ,is there anyway to derive an equation like the one i mentioned ? i am just trying to find some alternative methods( if there are any).
I doubt it, since the answer, I think, depends on the trigonometry of the situation, which is not linear.

Related to A problem on concurrent forces in a plane.

1. What is a concurrent force?

A concurrent force is a type of force in which two or more forces act on a single point at the same time.

2. How do you calculate the resultant force of concurrent forces in a plane?

To calculate the resultant force of concurrent forces in a plane, you can use the parallelogram law or the triangle law. The parallelogram law states that the resultant force can be determined by constructing a parallelogram where the two forces are adjacent sides, and the diagonal of the parallelogram represents the resultant force. The triangle law states that the resultant force can be determined by constructing a triangle where the two forces are adjacent sides, and the third side of the triangle represents the resultant force.

3. What is the difference between concurrent and non-concurrent forces?

Concurrent forces act on a single point, while non-concurrent forces act on different points. Additionally, concurrent forces can be represented by a single resultant force, while non-concurrent forces require multiple resultant forces to be represented.

4. Can concurrent forces be in equilibrium?

Yes, concurrent forces can be in equilibrium if the sum of all the forces acting on the point is equal to zero. This means that the forces are balanced and there is no resultant force.

5. What are some real-life examples of concurrent forces?

Some real-life examples of concurrent forces include a person holding a book in their hand, a bridge supporting the weight of cars, and a ball resting on a table.