A problem in Elementary Differential Geometry

In summary, we can use the definition of a skew-symmetric multilinear function and the fact that v and w can be written as linear combinations of U1, U2, and U3 to determine the function L(v, w). By factoring out the coefficients and using the skew-symmetry property, we can simplify the function to L(u, v) = L(<v1, v2, v3>, <w1, w2, w3>) = a*v1 + b*w3 - c*v2. Further examples and explanations can be found in a textbook or through asking the teacher for clarification.
jdinatale
Joseph.png

My teacher has defined [itex]U_1 = \langle1, 0, 0\rangle[/itex], [itex]U_2 = \langle0, 1, 0\rangle[/itex], and [itex]U_3 = \langle0, 0, 1\rangle[/itex].

So it seems like the function maps [itex]L(\langle1, 0, 0\rangle, \langle0, 1, 0\rangle) = a, L(\langle1, 0, 0\rangle, \langle0, 0, 1\rangle) = b,[/itex], and [itex]L(\langle0, 1, 0\rangle, \langle0, 0, 1\rangle) = c[/itex]

I'm not sure how that helps me determine what [itex]L(\langle v_1, v_2, v_3\rangle, \langle w_1, w_2, w_3\rangle)[/itex] is.

Could the function perhaps be [itex]L(u, v) = L(\langle v_1, v_2, v_3\rangle, \langle w_1, w_2, w_3\rangle) = a\cdot{}v_1 + b\cdot{}w_3 + c\cdot{}v_2[/itex]

That seems to satisfy our initial conditions.

My textbook doesn't cover this and my teacher hasn't shown an example of how these functions work, so I'm unsure what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
jdinatale said:
Joseph.png

My teacher has defined [itex]U_1 = \langle1, 0, 0\rangle[/itex], [itex]U_2 = \langle0, 1, 0\rangle[/itex], and [itex]U_3 = \langle0, 0, 1\rangle[/itex].

So it seems like the function maps [itex]L(\langle1, 0, 0\rangle, \langle0, 1, 0\rangle) = a, L(\langle1, 0, 0\rangle, \langle0, 0, 1\rangle) = b,[/itex], and [itex]L(\langle0, 1, 0\rangle, \langle0, 0, 1\rangle) = c[/itex]

I'm not sure how that helps me determine what [itex]L(\langle v_1, v_2, v_3\rangle, \langle w_1, w_2, w_3\rangle)[/itex] is.

Could the function perhaps be [itex]L(u, v) = L(\langle v_1, v_2, v_3\rangle, \langle w_1, w_2, w_3\rangle) = a\cdot{}v_1 + b\cdot{}w_3 + c\cdot{}v_2[/itex]

That seems to satisfy our initial conditions.

My textbook doesn't cover this and my teacher hasn't shown an example of how these functions work, so I'm unsure what to do.

I would start with the definition of "skew-symmetric multilinear function".

The next thing to do would be to note that v = <v1, v2, v3> = v1U1 + v2U2 + v3U3. You can write w in a similar fashion, as a linear combination of U1, U2, and U3.

That's a start...

Write v=v1*U1+v2*U2+v3+U3 and similar for w. Use linearity to factor out the vi's and wi's and skew-symmetry to change, for example, <U2,U1> to -<U1,U2>.

Related to A problem in Elementary Differential Geometry

1. What is Elementary Differential Geometry?

Elementary Differential Geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces in two and three-dimensional space. It deals with the study of shapes and their properties, such as curvature, tangent vectors, and area.

2. What are some real-life applications of Elementary Differential Geometry?

Elementary Differential Geometry has many real-life applications in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics. It is used to model and study the shape of objects, surfaces, and curves in these areas.

3. What are some key concepts in Elementary Differential Geometry?

Some key concepts in Elementary Differential Geometry include curvature, geodesics, tangent vectors, and normal vectors. These concepts are used to describe and analyze the properties of curves and surfaces.

4. What are some common problems encountered in Elementary Differential Geometry?

Common problems in Elementary Differential Geometry include finding the curvature of a curve or surface, determining the shortest distance between two points on a curved surface, and finding the equations for tangent and normal vectors at a given point on a curve or surface.

5. How is Elementary Differential Geometry related to other branches of mathematics?

Elementary Differential Geometry is closely related to other branches of mathematics such as calculus, linear algebra, and topology. It uses concepts and techniques from these fields to study curves and surfaces in a geometric context.