A problem about vectors and surfaces

In summary, vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction and are often used in surface problems to represent forces, motions, orientations, and other physical quantities. They can be distinguished from scalars, which only have magnitude, and are essential for calculating surface area and determining the normal vector of a surface. By utilizing vector operations and principles, scientists and engineers can solve real-world problems involving surfaces, such as predicting the behavior of a surface or calculating surface area.
oahsen

Homework Statement

Find the set of all points on the surface (y + z)^2 + (z − x)^2 = 16 where the
normal line is parallel to the yz-plane. Describe this set.

The Attempt at a Solution

I find the gradient vector of the surface then I said that the f at f*i should be zero when it is parallel to yz plane. then I found z=x for all x and z.Is my answer true and what is the desxription of this set is it the plane of z=x?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is exactly right.

Related to A problem about vectors and surfaces

1. What is a vector and how is it used in surface problems?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. In surface problems, vectors are often used to represent forces or motions on a surface. They can also be used to define the orientation of a surface or the direction of a normal vector at a specific point on the surface.

2. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector in relation to surfaces?

A scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. In surface problems, scalars can represent quantities such as temperature or pressure, while vectors can represent forces, motions, or orientations on the surface.

3. How do you calculate the normal vector of a surface?

The normal vector of a surface can be calculated using the cross product of two tangent vectors on the surface. Alternatively, it can also be found by taking the gradient of the surface equation at a specific point.

4. What is surface area and how is it related to vectors?

Surface area is the measure of the total area that the surface occupies. In surface problems, it is often calculated using the dot product of two tangent vectors on the surface. Vectors are used to define the orientation of the surface and the length of the tangent vectors, which are necessary for calculating surface area.

5. How can vectors be used to solve real-world problems involving surfaces?

Vectors can be used to represent and analyze forces, motions, orientations, and other physical quantities on surfaces. By using vector operations and principles, scientists and engineers can solve real-world problems involving surfaces, such as calculating surface area, determining the normal vector, or predicting the behavior of a surface under certain conditions.