Inductance problem: mass dropped above magnetic field

In summary, the frame's speed when it begins to enter the magnetic field is 4.4 H \frac{m}{s} and the frame's acceleration is 9.8 \frac{m}{s^2}.
monkeymind

Homework Statement

"Consider a square metal picture frame of side length s, mass M, and total electrical resistance R. It is dropped from rest from a height H above a region of uniform magnetic field pointing into the page. The frame accelerates downward under the influence of gravity until reaching the magnetic field. It is observed that, while entering the magnetic field, the frame moves with constant velocity. What is the frame's speed when it begins to enter the magnetic field? What is the strength of the magnetic field? (Solve for B in terms of the given physical quantities (s, M, R, and H) and any constants you need.) After the frame has completely entered the magnetic field, what is the frame's acceleration? Justify your answer in two sentences or less."

151tkzV.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex] {V_{f}}^2 = {V_{i}}^2 + 2 a x [/tex]
[tex] F_{mag} = \frac{v l^2 B^2}{R} [/tex]
[tex]F = m a [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the velocity after the metal frame dropped a height H:

[tex]V_{f}^2 = V_{i}^2 + 2 a x [/tex]
[tex]V_{f} = \sqrt{ 2 a x } = \sqrt{ 2 (9.8 \frac{m}{s^2 }) H} = 4.4 H \frac{m}{s}[/tex]

Then I reasoned that the only portion of the square metal picture frame that would factor into the magnetic force was the bottom horizontal portion. I figured that the two sides were moving in the same direction as velocity, and therefore the cross-product would go to zero. I also reasoned that the top horizontal portion would not matter, because as soon as this portion reaches the magnetic field, the flux is no longer changing and there will be no induced magnetic field, and therefore no magnetic force.

I approached the next portion as a dynamic equilibrium problem. Since the velocity is constant, I summed the forces in the positive and negative y-direction. Downward I have [itex]F_{gravity} = m g[/itex], and upward [itex]F_{B} = \frac{v s^2 B^2}{R}[/itex]. I then set them equal and solved for B, obtaining:

[tex]B = \sqrt{ \frac{M g R}{4.4 H s} }[/tex]

After it completely enters the field, I assumed that its acceleration would return to [itex]9.8 \frac{m}{s^2}[/itex] because the flux is no longer changing, so no fields are being induced.

Is this at all on the right track?

Likes PhysixChick
Physics news on Phys.org
Vf and B are both wrong. Redo, leaving all parameters in terms of symbols rather than numbers until the very end. You are missing chances to check dimensions term-by-term as you go. You got all the right relations and then blew it by introducing numbers prematurely.

Likes monkeymind and PhysixChick
dude, that's almost what i got, except i left gravity as g, and for s, i considered the length of the whole perimeter to be 4s, then squaring I got 16s. are you in simpson's class? anyways, i used the conservation of energy equation for part A though: MgH = 1/2 Mv^2

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
monkeymind said:
4.4H
4.4√H

Hi monkeymind. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

You did a good job of explaining your working, which makes errors easy to spot.

rude man makes a good point about not being too hasty in substituting data values for symbols in your formulae.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes monkeymind
PhysixChick said:
and for s, i considered the length of the whole perimeter to be 4s, then squaring I got 16s.
Oh?

oops, sorry... 16s^2... is that wrong rude man ? I figured it would be right, because this is the whole length in which current can flow through.

PhysixChick said:
oops, sorry... 16s^2... is that wrong rude man ? I figured it would be right, because this is the whole length in which current can flow through.
That's the area, not the length. The length is 4s. But I'm not sure why you are interested in it.
Monkeymind did a good job with his reasoning, you should look at it. Just remember not to switch to numbers until the end.

@rude man , I did the same thing monkeymind did, but i didn't plug in numbers. and I didn't use the area, I used the length of the whole picture frame (if it was straightened out, it would be 4s). the formula for magnetic force is F = V(SB)^2/R = V S^2 B^2 / R so instead of plugging in just s, I plugged in 4s.

PhysixChick said:
@rude man , I did the same thing monkeymind did, but i didn't plug in numbers. and I didn't use the area, I used the length of the whole picture frame (if it was straightened out, it would be 4s). the formula for magnetic force is F = V(SB)^2/R = V S^2 B^2 / R so instead of plugging in just s, I plugged in 4s.
Problem is, @PhysicsChick, that only one of the four sides gets the mag. force in the vertical direction.

Likes PhysixChick
OK, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it! That actually makes sense now that I think about it lol.

I see that I made two mistakes (hopefully that's it!). One when calculating vf and one when calculating B.

Correcting, this gives me:

[tex] v_{f} = 4.4 \sqrt{H} \frac{m}{s}[/tex]
[tex] B = \sqrt{\frac{MgR}{(4.4\sqrt{H})s^2}} [/tex]

Is that better?

monkeymind said:
I see that I made two mistakes (hopefully that's it!). One when calculating vf and one when calculating B.

Correcting, this gives me:

[tex] v_{f} = 4.4 \sqrt{H} \frac{m}{s}[/tex]
[tex] B = \sqrt{\frac{MgR}{(4.4\sqrt{H})s^2}} [/tex]

Is that better?

I got [tex] B = \sqrt{\frac{MgR}{(\sqrt{2gH})s^2}} [/tex]

Likes monkeymind
PhysixChick said:
OK, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it! That actually makes sense now that I think about it lol.
PhysixChick said:
PhysixChick said:
That is right, and is probably what monkeyminbd would have gotten had he/she stuck to symbols to the end as you did.

I'm sure it's the same thing.

Thanks for your help, rude man! I will definitely start solving symbolically from now on.

monkeymind said:
Thanks for your help, rude man! I will definitely start solving symbolically from now on.
I don't want to over-dramatize, but that is one of the most important things to learn in your physics studies.
So now try also to check units in each term. I prefer the term "dimensions". Like, force would have dimensions {F} = MLT-2, M for mass, L for length, T for time. When you get into elec. & magnetism you have to add Q for charge. You can deduce the dimensions of B for example by the familiar formula
F = iLB so B = F/iL and so {B} = {F}/{i}(L} = MLT-2/QT-1 = MLT-2Q-1TL-1 = MT-1Q-1.
Or, from ampere's law B = μi/L, {μi/L} = {B} which means that {μ} = {B}{L}/{i} = MLQ-2.

Last edited:
@rude man that's what we're taking right now! lol. Thanks for your help! Much appreciated =]

Related to Inductance problem: mass dropped above magnetic field

1. What is the concept of inductance and how does it relate to the mass dropped above a magnetic field?

Inductance is the property of an electrical circuit that causes a voltage to be induced in a conductor when there is a change in the current passing through it. In the case of a mass being dropped above a magnetic field, the changing magnetic field induces a voltage in the conductor and creates an electrical current.

2. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the inductance problem?

The strength of the magnetic field has a direct correlation to the inductance problem. A stronger magnetic field will induce a larger voltage and create a greater current in the conductor, while a weaker magnetic field will have a smaller effect.

3. Can the shape and size of the conductor affect the inductance problem?

Yes, the shape and size of the conductor can impact the inductance problem. A longer conductor will have a greater inductance, while a wider conductor will have a lower inductance. The shape of the conductor can also affect the direction and magnitude of the induced current.

4. How does the motion of the mass above the magnetic field affect the inductance problem?

The motion of the mass above the magnetic field creates a changing magnetic field, which in turn induces a voltage in the conductor. The faster the motion of the mass, the greater the change in the magnetic field and the larger the induced voltage.

5. What are some real-world applications of inductance problems involving a mass being dropped above a magnetic field?

One common application is in power generation through electromagnetic induction. In this case, a rotating magnet is used to produce a changing magnetic field, which induces a voltage in a conductor and generates electricity. Another application is in electromagnetic braking systems, where the motion of a conductor (such as a train) above a magnetic field is used to slow down or stop the object.