A plane traveling at mach 2.5.

• Thread starter jvdamdshdt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mach Plane
In summary, an observer on the ground hears the sonic boom 1.0min after the plane passes directly overhead. The plane's altitude is not important in this equation. Using the Mach cone and Mach angle, the observer can only hear the sound of the sonic boom after the shock wave has passed. The shock wave travels at 344 m/s, which is the speed of the plane.
jvdamdshdt

Homework Statement

A plane is traveling at Mach 2.5. An observer on the ground hears the sonic boom 1.0min after the plane passes directly overhead.

What is the plane's altitude? Ignore the change in the speed of sound with the altitude.

Homework Equations

v=d/t
1/T= f

The Attempt at a Solution

Hey guys I am having trouble with this problem.
I tried changing mach to velocity = 857.5 m/s and I tried 850 m/s
Time 60 seconds

I've tried v x t = d
My answers are 51000 m and 51450 m
I have no idea where I am going wrong.

I also tried to find the wavelength and using that as an answer but it was wrong also.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The OP only has half a question. Are you supposed to estimate the observer's distance to the plane? The altitude? What??

jvdamdshdt said:
A plane is traveling at Mach 2.5. An observer on the ground hears the sonic boom 1.0min after the plane passes directly overhead.
Hi vdamdshdt, is there a question associated with this scenario? :wink:

Likes 1 person
NascentOxygen said:
Hi vdamdshdt, is there a question associated with this scenario? :wink:

Yes. I fixed it.

jvdamdshdt said:

Homework Statement

What is the plane's altitude? Ignore the change in the speed of sound with the altitude.

Homework Equations

v=d/t
1/T= f

The Attempt at a Solution

Hey guys I am having trouble with this problem.
I tried changing mach to velocity = 857.5 m/s and I tried 850 m/s
Time 60 seconds

I've tried v x t = d
My answers are 51000 m and 51450 m
I have no idea where I am going wrong.

I also tried to find the wavelength and using that as an answer but it was wrong also.

Do you understand the concept of the Mach cone and the Mach angle? An observer on teh ground cannot hear a supersonic plane until the shock wave has passed him.

Likes 1 person
SteamKing said:
Do you understand the concept of the Mach cone and the Mach angle? An observer on teh ground cannot hear a supersonic plane until the shock wave has passed him.
I don't completely understand the shock wave and supersonic plane. My professor lectures and gives us a quiz then a homework to do on MasteringPhysics. He did not go over this portion but I've read the textbook. From my reading I think that the speed of the shock wave is it's own separate thing from the speed of the plane. The guy on the ground hears a shock wave after 1 min. Which means he heard the sound moving at 344 m/s after 60 secs. Someone please tell me if I am going in the right direction.

So I've figure it out. Thanks SteamKing. Using sin θ = Vsound/Vobj . I found angle the the object. I've then continued with Tan θ = opp/adj . Adj = distance traveled in 60 sec. Mach 2.5 x 334 x 60 sec = 50400 m . Plug the angle and distance traveled into the formula Tan θ = opp/adj . I hope this helps the next person taking a physics class.

Related to A plane traveling at mach 2.5.

What does it mean for a plane to travel at mach 2.5?

Traveling at mach 2.5 means that the plane is flying at a speed that is 2.5 times the speed of sound, or approximately 3,125 kilometers per hour.

How fast is mach 2.5 in miles per hour?

Mach 2.5 is equivalent to approximately 2,436 miles per hour.

What type of planes can travel at mach 2.5?

Only certain military aircraft, such as the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird, have been designed to travel at mach 2.5. Commercial aircraft typically travel at much slower speeds.

What are the challenges of flying at mach 2.5?

Flying at such high speeds presents several challenges, including extreme temperatures, air resistance, and potential engine failures. It also requires specialized training and advanced technology to safely operate the aircraft.

Is traveling at mach 2.5 safe?

While there are risks involved with any type of air travel, flying at mach 2.5 is generally considered safe as long as proper precautions and protocols are followed. However, accidents and incidents can still occur, as with any form of transportation.