A photocell device to light a small bulb

In summary, the conversation revolves around building a device that can light a small light bulb using a laser pointer and a photocell. The person asking for help is not an electrical engineer but has basic knowledge of circuits. They are looking for suggestions on components and ways to invert the signal of a nightlight circuit. The conversation also discusses the use of phototransistors and LEDs, and the importance of experimenting to ensure the circuit will work.
wdavidleeii
Hello, this is my first post. I googled it, and searched the forums, but no luck.

I want to know what I need to build a device, that can light a small light bulb. Something rather small, such as a flashlight bulb. But I need the on/off switch to be a photocell that is sensitive enough to make the bulb light, when a laser pointer hits it. If that doesn't make sense, think of it this way. I want a to make a small light bulb light up whenever the laser pointer is hitting the photocell.

I assume I need a few batteries to light the bulb. Also, a photocell of some kind, but I don't know what kind. Would I need anything else?

If I need to be more specific about anything let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Start with a nightlight circuit and flip the logic (a simple transistor should do), or you could use a comparator and flip the pins.

Okay. I guess I should have stated that I am not an electrical engineer, nor do I have very much knowledge on the subject. I am an electrician's apprentice, and I understand ohm's law and comprehend circuits. But I don't know what a logic is, or a comparator is either.

Also, exactly what would that do? Would that make it so the photocell from the nightlight is switched on when light hits it, or what?

Thanks

Yes - currently nightlights turn the light on in the absence of light.
You want a circuit that will do just the opposite.

Essentialy, you just want to invert the signal of a the circuit.
The approach I was giving you was a simple way to hack something you could inexpensively obtain.

The question becomes, do you want to build something, or hack something you can buy?

If you want to build something, I would read on phototransistors and LEDs. That more/less is all you'll need to build your circuit (assuming you have DC power available).
It seems that you've got some interest in electronics, which is a good start. If you Google night light circuits, you might be able to find something with a full circuit description you can build with a few minor tweaks.

Last edited:
Right. So do you think a laser pointer would be a strong enough source of light to make it work? Do you think it depend at all on the light around the photocell relative to the brightness of the laser? Am I going to have to experiment? Sorry for all the questions. I just have a very specific idea and I want to build it but I don't know exactly how to begin.

The laser pointer should be plenty good. It is far brighter then the nominal ambient lighting in a room (which it currently responds to).

You should always experiment to find out though. It is better to know something will work, than to construct a circuit and hope it works.

Related to A photocell device to light a small bulb

1. How does a photocell device work to light a small bulb?

A photocell device, also known as a photoresistor, works by using a light-sensitive material to convert light energy into electrical energy. When light falls on the photoresistor, its resistance decreases and allows the flow of current through the circuit, powering the bulb.

2. What types of light can activate a photocell device?

A photocell device can be activated by both natural and artificial light sources, including sunlight, fluorescent lights, and incandescent bulbs. However, the sensitivity of the device may vary depending on the type of light.

3. How is a photocell device different from a regular switch?

A photocell device does not have a physical switch that needs to be flipped on or off. Instead, it uses light to automatically turn on or off the circuit. This makes it a more energy-efficient and convenient option.

4. Can a photocell device be used in outdoor settings?

Yes, a photocell device is commonly used in outdoor light fixtures, such as streetlights and garden lights. It is designed to withstand exposure to different weather conditions and still function effectively.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when handling a photocell device?

As with any electrical device, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when handling a photocell device. This includes ensuring that the device is properly installed and connected to a power source, and avoiding touching any exposed wires to prevent electric shock.