Creating an AC Circuit with 2 Light Bulbs & a Switch

• Thread starter abro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a DPDT switch for a circuit with AC, 2 light bulbs, and a switch. One bulb will light when the switch is open and the other will be off, with the opposite effect when the switch is closed. The use of transistors was explored, but it was found that a DPDT switch would be simpler and can be easily purchased at a hardware store. The speaker initially thought the task would be difficult, but it turns out the solution is simple and does not require many parts.
abro
Hi I want to make a circuit with AC and 2 light bulbs and a switch. One light bulb will light when the switch is open, but will be off when the switch is closed. The other bulb will have the opposite effect.
I tried to use transistors but that only works for DC current.

Attachments

• 20141030_184920.jpg
    20141030_184920.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 377
Engineering news on Phys.org
You want a simple DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) switch. What you are describing is a common use of a DPDT switch and you can buy them at any hardware store.

Thanks, thought a bit too difficult.

abro said:
Thanks, thought a bit too difficult.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean. Do you mean that you though it would be difficult and are happy to find out that it is easy or do you mean that you think a DPDT switch is too difficult? There aren't very many things more simple than a DPDT switch and for what you want to do there is NOTHING that is more simple.

What I mean is that I thought it would require a lot of parts, but turns out it's that simple.
phinds said:
Sorry, I don't know what you mean. Do you mean that you though it would be difficult and are happy to find out that it is easy or do you mean that you think a DPDT switch is too difficult? There aren't very many things more simple than a DPDT switch and for what you want to do there is NOTHING that is more simple.

abro said:
What I mean is that I thought it would require a lot of parts, but turns out it's that simple.
Yes, good. It IS simple.

Related to Creating an AC Circuit with 2 Light Bulbs & a Switch

What materials do I need to create an AC circuit with 2 light bulbs and a switch?

You will need the following materials: 2 light bulbs, 2 bulb holders, a switch, 2 wires, and a power source (such as a battery or outlet).

How do I connect the light bulbs and switch in the circuit?

Connect one end of the wire to the positive terminal of the power source and the other end to one of the terminals on the switch. Connect another wire from the other terminal of the switch to one of the terminals on the first bulb holder. Then, connect a wire from the other terminal of the first bulb holder to one of the terminals on the second bulb holder. Finally, connect a wire from the other terminal of the second bulb holder back to the negative terminal of the power source.

Can I use different types of light bulbs in the circuit?

Yes, you can use different types of light bulbs as long as they have the same voltage rating. However, keep in mind that different types of light bulbs may have different resistance values and may affect the brightness of the bulbs.

How do I turn the circuit on and off?

To turn the circuit on, simply flip the switch to the "on" position. To turn it off, flip the switch to the "off" position. You can also use a different type of switch, such as a push button or toggle switch, as long as it can handle the voltage and current of the circuit.

What is the purpose of creating an AC circuit with 2 light bulbs and a switch?

This type of circuit can be used as a basic demonstration of how electricity flows in a closed circuit. It also shows how a switch can control the flow of electricity and how adding more light bulbs will affect the overall brightness of the circuit.