A particle of mass m is initially at rest

In summary: It is, but technically you should go through the step of allowing for a constant of inrtegration each time, then using the initial conditions to show it is zero.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m, initially at rest at x=0, is accelerated by a force that increases in time as F=Ct2. Determine its velocity v as a function of time.

Homework Equations

x = vt
v = at

The Attempt at a Solution

The correct method makes sense, but my method has no error. However, my answer is wrong. Why?
http://photo1.ask.fm/726/204/412/-69996997-1sha200-dqjla0edmhpamrf/original/IMG_4066.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
v=at only works for constant acceleration. Integration works for constant or varying acceleration.

So because force is a function of time (f = Ct2), acceleration is also a function of time and therefore not constant?
Thanks

Calpalned said:
So because force is a function of time (f = Ct2), acceleration is also a function of time and therefore not constant?
Thanks
Yes.

Thank you so much

I don't see how you got 3m at the bottom? does it have to do with the fact that t is to the third power?

Colin R said:
I don't see how you got 3m at the bottom? does it have to do with the fact that t is to the third power?
Yes. What is ##\int t^2.dt##?

haruspex said:
Yes. What is ##\int t^2.dt##?
I figured it out, it is the antiderivative I believe

I solved this questions like;

$$ F=m.a $$ $$ F=Ct^2 $$ => $$ m.a = Ct^2 $$ $$ a= \frac {Ct^2} {m} $$
and if we integrate "a" respect to time(t), we obtain velocity(v);
$$ \int \frac {Ct^2} {m} dt = \frac {Ct^3} {3m} = V $$
and if we integrate "v" respect to time(t), we obtain position(x);
$$ \int \frac {Ct^3} {3m} dt = \frac {Ct^4} {12m} = X $$

I'm not sure, tell me if it's correct.

Last edited:
mastermechanic said:
tell me if it's correct
It is, but technically you should go through the step of allowing for a constant of inrtegration each time, then using the initial conditions to show it is zero.

Related to A particle of mass m is initially at rest

What is the definition of mass?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is often measured in kilograms (kg).

What does it mean for a particle to be at rest?

When a particle is at rest, it means that it is not moving or changing position in relation to its surroundings.

How is the initial velocity of a particle determined if it is at rest?

If a particle is at rest, its initial velocity is zero. This means that it has no speed or direction of motion at the beginning of a given time frame.

What factors affect the mass of a particle?

The mass of a particle is determined by the amount of matter it contains. Therefore, factors that can affect the mass include the size, density, and composition of the particle.

Can a particle be at rest and in motion at the same time?

No, a particle cannot be both at rest and in motion at the same time. These are two distinct states of motion and cannot occur simultaneously.