A Mechanics tries to remove an engine from a car by attaching a chain

In summary, a mechanic is trying to remove an engine from a car by attaching a chain to it and pulling sideways with a horizontal force. The engine has a mass of 180kg and the chain makes a 15 degree angle with the vertical. The tension in the chain is the same throughout and the force F refers to the lateral force applied to push the chain sideways. To understand the concept of tension, a free body diagram can be helpful in visualizing the forces involved and doing force sums horizontally and vertically.
teddyayalew

Homework Statement

A Mechanics tries to remove an engine from a car by attaching a chain to it from a point directly overhead and then pulling sideways with a horizontal force F. If the engine has mass 180kg, what is the tension in the chain when it makes an angle of 15 degrees with vertical? What is Force

Homework Equations

ƩF=0

The Attempt at a Solution

http://i43.tinypic.com/zl2qgh.jpg

The problem I have with the solution is that I thought because the person is pulling on the chain outward the tension would be in the opposite direction meaning toward the engine. They show T as being in the same direction the person is pulling on the chain. I feel like I have misunderstood what tension means and I would like it if someone could help me understand it.

Physics news on Phys.org

As used in this problem, the word Tension refers to the force in the chain which is everywhere the same. The word Force refers to the lateral force applied to push the chain sideways, the force F.

Draw a FBD of the point where F is applied to the chain (the block shown in the figure) and do force sums horizontally and vertically). This should give you everything that you need.

Related to A Mechanics tries to remove an engine from a car by attaching a chain

What is the purpose of attaching a chain to remove an engine from a car?

The chain is used to secure the engine and provide stability during the removal process. It also allows the mechanic to have a better grip and control over the engine.

What type of chain is typically used for this process?

A heavy-duty steel chain is commonly used as it is strong enough to support the weight of the engine.

How is the chain attached to the engine?

The chain is typically attached to a designated lifting point on the engine, such as a bolt hole or engine mount. The other end of the chain is then attached to a lifting device, such as a hoist or engine crane.

Is it safe to remove an engine using a chain?

Yes, as long as the chain is properly attached and the lifting device is secure. It is important to follow safety precautions and have proper training when removing an engine to prevent accidents.

Are there any alternative methods for removing an engine from a car?

Yes, there are other methods such as using an engine puller tool or removing the engine from underneath the car by using a transmission jack. The method chosen may depend on the specific car and engine being worked on.