Cartesian Vector Form - Door with 2 Chains

In summary, the homework statement is that if the tension in AB and CD is Fa = 300 N and Fc = 250 N, respectively, express each of these in Cartesian Vector Form.
BuckBee

Homework Statement

[/B]
The door is held open by the means of 2 chains. If the tension in AB and CD is Fa = 300 N and Fc = 250 N, respectively, express each of these in Cartesian Vector Form

Homework Equations

Sin / cos / tan

The Attempt at a Solution

The angle of FA at B is atan(1.5sin30/(1+1.5cos30 )) then +y direction force A is 300cos that angle and -z direction force is 300sin that angle

There are 2 forces in 2D but I don't understand the 3D. There are 3 forces x, y and z

See Image Attached

Attachments

• p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 437
Physics news on Phys.org
BuckBee said:
There are 2 forces in 2D but I don't understand the 3D.
Take it in stages. Drop a vertical from C to a point G below it on the ground. The tension has a vertical component and a horizontal one from G to D.

Likes BuckBee
Thanks but I am still a bit confused with the (x) force. I am really not sure about the 3D calculations. The horizontal length for C to D is 2 meters with a Fc of 200N

+y direction force is tan(1.5sin30/(1+1.5cos30) = X then 300 CosX

-z direction force is tan(1.5sin30/(1+1.5cos30) = X then 300 SinX

BuckBee said:
The horizontal length for C to D is 2 meters
No, that's just the X component. What is the whole horizontal distance? Hence what is tan(∠CDG)?

Likes BuckBee
ok I admit I have no idea how to do the 3D x, y, z forces for CD. I have no idea what formula to use or where to start

The 2D y, z forces for AB I understand that, see the calculations in the image attached below, I am sure that's correct

17311394_10211780872818684_1088220014_o.jpg

p3.jpg

BuckBee said:
how to do the 3D x, y, z forces for CD.
C, D, G lie in a vertical plane. That's just 2D.
Use Pythagoras to find the distance DG, hence find ∠CDG.

Likes BuckBee
cool thanks but we don't know the distance DC to find out the length DG using Pythagoras
p6.jpg

ok got it!

p7.jpg

So does that look correct? If so I can then work out the x, y, z forces. Also how do I express the answer in cartesian vector form?

BuckBee said:
So does that look correct? If so I can then work out the x, y, z forces. Also how do I express the answer in cartesian vector form?
Yes, that's it. You might want to keep one more digit of precision during the calculation... I have 3.14 where you have 3.1.
Cartesian vector form probably means as three numbers in parentheses: (Fx, Fy, Fz).

Likes BuckBee
Great, thanks for the help, I think I've got it now. Can you please double check the calculations and answers and let me know if correct, Cheers

cvf1.jpg

cvf2.jpg

cvf3.jpg

I'm getting rather different numbers. Where does the 2.23 come from? 1+0.75(√3)/2=2.3.
But you've basically cracked it, so I'll show you an easier way. You do not need to calculate the angles in degrees.
In 2D, the components of a unit force in the direction (x,y) are x/h, y/h where h=√(x2+y2), right?
In 3D, that extends simply to x/h, y/h, z/h where h=√(x2+y2+z2).

Related to Cartesian Vector Form - Door with 2 Chains

1. What is Cartesian Vector Form?

Cartesian Vector Form is a mathematical representation of a vector in three-dimensional space using the Cartesian coordinate system. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to describe the magnitude and direction of a vector.

2. How is a Vector represented in Cartesian Vector Form?

In Cartesian Vector Form, a vector is represented as an ordered triple (x, y, z) where x, y, and z are the components of the vector along the x, y, and z axes respectively. This form allows for easy visualization and manipulation of vectors in three-dimensional space.

3. What is the significance of Door with 2 Chains in Cartesian Vector Form?

Door with 2 Chains is a common example used to illustrate the concept of a vector in Cartesian Vector Form. In this scenario, the two chains represent the two components of the vector, one along the x-axis and one along the y-axis. The door represents the direction and magnitude of the vector.

4. How is the magnitude of a vector calculated in Cartesian Vector Form?

The magnitude of a vector in Cartesian Vector Form is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. In this case, the magnitude of the vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the x, y, and z components.

5. What is the difference between Cartesian Vector Form and Polar Vector Form?

Cartesian Vector Form and Polar Vector Form are two different ways of representing vectors. In Cartesian Vector Form, a vector is described using its components along the x, y, and z axes. In Polar Vector Form, a vector is described using its magnitude and direction, typically represented by an angle. Both forms have their own advantages and are used in different contexts depending on the needs of the problem at hand.