A mechanics problem with moving and fixed coordinate systems

In summary, we used the formula v = wxr to find the velocity of point P in the fixed coordinate system, which is 300j - 400i. This is the same as the velocity given in the moving system, which is 50i + 45j, but with a 30 degree counterclockwise rotation. The angular velocity w, given as 100k, indicates that the rotation is only happening around the z-axis. We also used the formula r = R - R0 to find the radius vector r in terms of the fixed coordinate system.
mech-eng
1. A point P is described in terms of a fixed coordinate system XYZ with unit vectors I,J,K and a moving coordinate system xyx with unit vectors i,j,k.at a given instant the location of the origin
of the moving system is 80I-90J.the velocity of P relative to moving system is 50i+45j;the radius of point P is 3i+4j in the moving system, which rotates at angular velocity w=100k. Find the velocity of point P in the fixed system if the x-axis is rotated 30 counterclockwise from the X axis.

Homework Equations

R=R0+r
R=R0xI+R0yJ+R0zk+rxi+ryj+rzk
R^=R^0xI+R^0yJ+R^0zK+r^xi+r^yj+r^zk+rxi^+ryj^+rzk^, here ^ represents derivative,i.e it is dot.

The Attempt at a Solution

v=wxr , x:cross product symbol v=300j-400i I don't know where I should use this v and its relation with another V which is 50i +45 j as given in the problem.In this problem I don't clearly understand whether w is belongs to radius or moving coordinates.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I can help clarify some of the concepts in this problem. Firstly, the given problem is asking for the velocity of point P in the fixed coordinate system, which means we need to find the velocity of point P in terms of the fixed unit vectors I, J, and K.

To do this, we can use the formula v = wxr, where v is the velocity, w is the angular velocity, and r is the radius vector. In this case, the angular velocity w is given as 100k, which means it is only in the k direction. This indicates that the rotation is only happening around the z-axis.

Next, we need to find the radius vector r in terms of the fixed coordinate system. This can be done by using the formula r = R - R0, where R is the position vector of point P in the moving coordinate system and R0 is the position vector of the origin of the moving system in the fixed system.

Using the given information, we can find R0 = 80I - 90J and R = 3i + 4j. Substituting these values into the formula, we get r = (3i + 4j) - (80I - 90J) = -80I + 90J + 3i + 4j.

Now, we can substitute the values of w and r into the formula v = wxr to get the velocity vector in terms of the fixed coordinate system. This gives us v = (100k) x (-80I + 90J + 3i + 4j) = 300j - 400i.

So, the velocity of point P in the fixed coordinate system is 300j - 400i. This is the same as the velocity given in the moving system, which is 50i + 45j, but with a 30 degree counterclockwise rotation.

I hope this helps clarify the problem. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

Related to A mechanics problem with moving and fixed coordinate systems

1. What is a mechanics problem with moving and fixed coordinate systems?

A mechanics problem with moving and fixed coordinate systems involves the analysis of the motion of objects in relation to two different coordinate systems - one that is stationary (fixed) and one that is moving. This type of problem often arises in the study of physics and engineering.

2. What is the difference between a moving and fixed coordinate system?

A fixed coordinate system remains in a fixed position in space, while a moving coordinate system is in motion relative to the fixed system. In mechanics problems, the moving coordinate system is usually attached to a moving object or reference point.

3. How do you approach solving a mechanics problem with moving and fixed coordinate systems?

The first step is to define the two coordinate systems and the relationship between them. Then, you can use equations of motion and kinematic equations to analyze the motion of an object in both coordinate systems. It is important to carefully consider the relative velocities and accelerations between the two systems.

4. What are some real-world applications of mechanics problems with moving and fixed coordinate systems?

These types of problems are commonly encountered in fields such as aerospace engineering, robotics, and navigation. For example, the trajectory of a missile can be analyzed using a moving and fixed coordinate system, or the movement of a robotic arm can be studied by considering the motion of both the arm and the base of the robot.

5. What are some challenges that may arise when solving a mechanics problem with moving and fixed coordinate systems?

One challenge is keeping track of the different velocities and accelerations in each coordinate system and properly accounting for their relationship. Another challenge is ensuring that the chosen coordinate systems accurately represent the motion of the object being studied. It may also be difficult to visualize the motion in both coordinate systems simultaneously.