Relative velocity with respect to a specified coordinate system

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relative velocity in different coordinate systems and provides a problem to practice this concept. The solution for the problem involves using the displacement vector to relate the velocities in the two coordinate systems. The conversation also confirms the correctness of the thought process and final answer for the given problem.
Fantini
Gold Member
MHB
Hello all. I didn't know whether this fit pre-university math so I posted here. This is exercise's 1.15 from Kleppner & Kolenkow.

By relative velocity we mean velocity with respect to a specified coordinate system. (The term velocity, alone, is understood to be relative to the observer's coordinate system.)

a) A point is observed to have velocity ${\mathbf v}_A$ relative to coordinate system $A$. What is its velocity relative to coordinate system $B$, which is displaced from system $A$ by distance ${\mathbf R}$? (${\mathbf R}$ can change in time.)

b) Particles $a$ and $b$ move in opposite directions around a circle with angular speed $\omega$, as shown.

View attachment 3286

At $t=0$ they are both at the point ${\mathbf r}=l \vec{j}$, where $l$ is the radius of the circle.
Find the velocity of $a$ relative to $b$.

My thought process for (a): We want to write the velocity of the particle in $B$ given the velocity in $A$. This means we need to write the coordinate system $A$ in terms of the coordinate system $B$, which can be done by noting that ${\mathbf r}_A = {\mathbf r}_B + {\mathbf R}$. Differentiating with respect to time and isolating ${\mathbf v}_B$ we get
$${\mathbf v}_B = {\mathbf v}_A - \frac{d{\mathbf R}}{dt}.$$

This agrees with the book's answer.

My thought process for (b): I wrote
$$\begin{eqnarray} {\mathbf r}_A & =& l \sin(\omega t) \vec{i} + l \cos(\omega t) \vec{j}, \\ {\mathbf r}_B & = & - l \sin (\omega t) \vec{i} + l \cos(\omega t) \vec{j}, \end{eqnarray}$$
for the position vectors, as the picture. This means that
$${\mathbf R} = {\mathbf r}_A - {\mathbf r}_B = 2 l \omega \sin(\omega t) \vec{i}.$$
Using the result from part (a) gives then
$${\mathbf v}_B = {\mathbf v}_A - \frac{d{\mathbf R}}{dt} = - l \omega \cos(\omega t) \vec{i} - l \omega \sin(\omega t) \vec{j}.$$
Is this correct?

Attachments

• kk1.15.png
    kk1.15.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 50
Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Your thought process for part (a) is correct. You have correctly used the displacement vector ${\mathbf R}$ to relate the velocities in the two coordinate systems.

For part (b), your thought process is also correct. You have correctly written the position vectors for particles $a$ and $b$ and found the displacement vector ${\mathbf R}$. Your final answer for the velocity of $a$ relative to $b$ is also correct. Well done!

Related to Relative velocity with respect to a specified coordinate system

What is relative velocity with respect to a specified coordinate system?

Relative velocity with respect to a specified coordinate system is the measure of how fast an object is moving in relation to a specific reference point or frame of reference. It takes into account the motion of both the object and the reference point.

How is relative velocity calculated?

To calculate relative velocity, the velocities of the object and reference point are vectorially subtracted. This means the direction and magnitude of the reference point's velocity are reversed, and then added to the object's velocity. The resulting vector is the relative velocity.

What is a frame of reference in relative velocity?

A frame of reference is a set of coordinates relative to which the position, motion, and other physical quantities of an object can be described. It is used to measure the relative velocity of an object.

How does relative velocity differ from absolute velocity?

Relative velocity takes into account the motion of both the object and the reference point, while absolute velocity only measures the motion of an object in relation to a fixed point. Relative velocity is also dependent on the chosen frame of reference, while absolute velocity is independent of any reference point.

What are some real-world applications of relative velocity?

Relative velocity is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. For example, it is used in calculating the velocity of spacecraft in relation to the Earth, determining the speed of objects in collisions, and predicting the movement of objects in fluid dynamics.