A little problem on exact sequences.

• MHB
  • Thread starter steenis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequences
In summary: I'll be happy to continue to provide summaries of conversations. Just let me know if there are any other conversations you would like summarized.
steenis
I have this little problem on exact sequences, I want to check with you.

We have two R-maps $f:A\to B$ and $g:B\to C$ of left R-modules.
And we have an isomorphism $B/\mbox{im} f\cong C$ "induced by g" .
Then prove that the sequence $S:A\to _f B\to _g C\to 0$ is right-exact, i.e.,
$\mbox{im} f = \ker g$ and $g$ is surjective.

"Induced by g", I do not know what this exactly means in this context.
I think it means that the isomorphism is given by
$B/\mbox{im} f \to C:b+\mbox{im} f \mapsto g(b)$.

Your thoughts, please.

Physics news on Phys.org
steenis said:
I have this little problem on exact sequences, I want to check with you.

We have two R-maps $f:A\to B$ and $g:B\to C$ of left R-modules.
And we have an isomorphism $B/\mbox{im} f\cong C$ "induced by g" .
Then prove that the sequence $S:A\to _f B\to _g C\to 0$ is right-exact, i.e.,
$\mbox{im} f = \ker g$ and $g$ is surjective.

"Induced by g", I do not know what this exactly means in this context.
I think it means that the isomorphism is given by
$B/\mbox{im} f \to C:b+\mbox{im} f \mapsto g(b)$.

Your thoughts, please.

I think so, too.

If such an $R$-module $R$-map exists, of necessity it must map $\text{im f} \to 0_C$ ($R$-maps send $0 \to 0$).

But then this means $\overline{g}:B/(\text{im f}) \to C$ given by $\overline{g}(b + \text{im }f) = g(b)$ is well-defined, since it is constant on cosets.

If such a $\overline{g}$ is an isomorphism, then surely $g$ is surjective, since we have, for any $c \in C$, some coset:

$b + \text{im }f \in B/(\text{im }f)$ with $\overline{g}(b + \text{im }f) = c$, that is: $g(b) = c$.

Clearly, $\text{im }f \subseteq \text{ker }\overline{g}$, and since $\overline{g}$ is injective, we have:

$g(b) = 0_C \implies b \in \text{im }f$, proving that $\text{ker }g = \text{im }f$.

Thank you, Deveno.

For clarity:
$\mbox{im }f \subset \ker (g)$ because if $y\in \mbox{im } f$ then $\overline y =0$ and $g(y)= \overline {g} (\overline {y})=0$

In the meanwhile, I posted this question on MSE: abstract algebra - A statement on exact sequences of R-modules. - Mathematics Stack Exchange
That produced two interesting ansers.

I posed this question because I want to understand the answer of this MSE-post: commutative algebra - Exact sequence of $A$-modules - Mathematics Stack Exchange

Last edited:
@Deveno. Rethinking your answer, I noticed that I do not understand this:

Deveno said:
But then this means $\overline{g}:B/(\text{im f}) \to C$ given by $\overline{g}(b + \text{im }f) = g(b)$ is well-defined, since it is constant on cosets.

Maybe you can clarify this a little more.I think you do not know enough to prove the well-definition of $\overline g$ and you must assume it, because it is given that it is an R-map.

Last edited:
steenis said:
@Deveno. Rethinking your answer, I noticed that I do not understand this:
Maybe you can clarify this a little more.I think you do not know enough to prove the well-definition of $\overline g$ and you must assume it, because it is given that it is an R-map.

The answer posted by Zev Conoles on mathstackexchange is a good one, and relevant, here. When we say $\overline{g}$ is induced by $g$, we mean two things:

1. $\text{im f} \subseteq \text{ker }g$ -this is what ensures $\overline{g}$ is well-defined.

2. $\overline{g}(b + \text{im }f) = g(b)$.

In other words, if $\pi$ is the canonical map $B \to B/(\text{im f})$, we have $g = \overline{g}\circ\pi$. Often, one uses the expression "$g$ factors through $\pi$", and thus the induced map is "the other factor".

You are partially correct in one respect: the fact that $\overline{g}$ is well-defined is *equivalent* to #1. above: if $g$ is constant on cosets of a submodule $M$ of $B$, it induces a well-defined mapping: $B/M \to C$, and if it does induce such a mapping, it must be constant on cosets of $M$.

I must say that I am not very bright, I did mention that $\mbox{im } f \subset \ker g$, and still did not see that that is the key to the well-definition of $\overline g$, ...

Thank you, Deveno, your post is a relevant addition.
You may go to part 2, :).

Last edited:
steenis said:
I must say that I am not very bright, I did mention that $\mbox{im } f \subset \ker g$, and still did not see that that is the key to the well-definition of $\overline g$, ...

Thank you, Deveno, your post is a relevant addition.
You may go to part 2, :).

Don't sell yourself short, your posts evidence insightful thinking into the ideas, and an clear ability to focus on "weak links" in chains of reasoning. I find your contributions to the site welcome and refreshing.

Thank you, Deveno, you are very kind !

Related to A little problem on exact sequences.

1. What are exact sequences?

An exact sequence is a sequence of mathematical objects (such as groups, vector spaces, or modules) connected by homomorphisms or linear maps in such a way that the image of one map is equal to the kernel of the next map.

2. Why are exact sequences important?

Exact sequences are important in many areas of mathematics, including algebra, topology, and differential geometry. They provide a powerful tool for understanding the structure and relationships between mathematical objects.

3. How are exact sequences used in scientific research?

Exact sequences are used in many areas of scientific research, such as in the study of homology and cohomology groups in topology, in the classification of finite simple groups in group theory, and in the study of sheaves and cohomology in algebraic geometry.

4. Can you give an example of an exact sequence?

One example of an exact sequence is the short exact sequence in algebraic geometry: 0 → L → M → N → 0, where L, M, and N are sheaves and the maps are sheaf homomorphisms. This sequence is exact because the image of L is equal to the kernel of M, and the image of M is equal to the kernel of N.

5. Are there any applications of exact sequences outside of mathematics?

Yes, exact sequences have applications in other fields such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. For example, exact sequences are used in computer vision algorithms for image recognition and in the study of DNA sequences in genetics.