A little help with a binomial theorem proof

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the expression (n,0) - (n,1) + ... + (-1)^n(n,n) = 0 using the binomial theorem. The approach works for odd n but not for even n. The suggestion is to directly apply the binomial theorem with appropriate values for x and y, and then use the fact that 1^i = 1 for all i.
bennyska

Homework Statement

(here, (n,k) reads n choose k)
prove that (n,0) - (n, 1) + ... + (-1)n(n,n) = 0

Homework Equations

binomial theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

so this proof is relatively straightforward when n is odd. it's just matching up terms and having them cancel each other out. I'm having a problem proving it when n is even, because each term doesn't match up exactly. and the middle term also alternates between plus or minus depending on whether n/2 is even. (i think i have the middle term is (-1)n(n,n/2).
but anyway, I've been having trouble with it. a little hint or two would be nice. gracias!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a good approach, but fails for even n, like you noticed.

Consider directly applying the binomial theorem

[tex] (x+y)^n = \sum_{i=0}^n (n,i)*x^iy^{n-i}[/tex]

Now, just pick the right values for [tex] x,y. [/tex]

Remember the obvious fact that [tex] 1^i = 1,\;\forall i. [/tex]

<slaps forehead>
this is exactly the same as the proof i did before, except for the different x and y values.
thanks.

Related to A little help with a binomial theorem proof

1. What is the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is a mathematical formula that describes the expansion of a binomial expression raised to a positive integer power. It is commonly used in algebra and calculus to simplify and solve complex equations.

2. Why is the binomial theorem important?

The binomial theorem is important because it allows us to quickly and easily expand binomial expressions without having to manually multiply each term. This can save a lot of time and effort when solving equations in mathematics and other fields.

3. How do you prove the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem can be proven using mathematical induction, which involves showing that the formula holds true for a base case (such as n = 0) and then showing that if it holds true for n, it also holds true for n+1. This process is repeated until the formula has been proven for all positive integer values of n.

4. Can the binomial theorem be used for more than just integers?

Yes, the binomial theorem can also be extended to include non-integer powers, such as fractions or negative numbers. This is known as the generalized binomial theorem and is commonly used in calculus and other advanced mathematical concepts.

5. How can the binomial theorem be applied in real-life situations?

The binomial theorem has many practical applications, such as in finance and economics for calculating compound interest and in physics for calculating the probability of multiple outcomes in an experiment. It can also be used in engineering, computer science, and other fields to simplify complex equations and make calculations more efficient.