A little general help (set relation/theory)

• Thread starter Carmen12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with understanding set theory and graphing sets in relation to a specific problem involving the Cartesian Plane. The student is hoping for general advice or a website to reference since they missed a class and their professor is too busy to meet with them. They clarify that they are not looking for someone to solve the problem, just some guidance.
Carmen12
Hey guys! You were all so helpful with a set theory question I had so I was hoping you guys could get me started on something else.

Let A = [tex]\Gamma[/tex] x [tex]\Gamma[/tex] where [tex]\Gamma[/tex] represents the set of all real numbers. Thus A is the Cartesian Plane. Consider the collection p defined as follows:
p = {Ar for r [tex]\in[/tex][tex]\Gamma[/tex] } where Ar = {(x,y) | y = 3x + r}
a. Choose three different values of r and precisely graph the corresponding sets Ar’s.
b. Prove that collection p is a partition of A.
This is difficult because I missed the class when I had a bad infection and I'll be submitting my homework with this one blank today. But I know my professor is extremely busy this close to finals time and he doesn't have office hours I can meet with my other classes schedules. So I'm hoping someone here could just help me understand or point me towards a website?

Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
What question do you have problems with? And what did you already try to solve that question??

micromass said:
What question do you have problems with? And what did you already try to solve that question??

I'm not sure if you read my whole post. I'm not looking for anyone to solve the problem, just some general advice. I was never taught anything about "graphing" sets or relations so the word "graph" is confusing me.

Graphing the set Ar just means that you mark all points (x,y) such that y=3x+r.
So graphing Ar actually comes down to graphing the line y=3x+r.

Related to A little general help (set relation/theory)

What is a set relation?

A set relation is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two or more sets. It is a way to compare the elements of one set to the elements of another set and determine if there are any similarities or differences between them.

What is the difference between a set and a relation?

A set is a collection of distinct objects, while a relation is a set of ordered pairs that show the connection or association between the objects in the sets. In other words, a set is the group of objects, and a relation is the way those objects are related to each other.

What is the purpose of set relations in mathematics?

Set relations have many practical applications in mathematics, including graph theory, algebra, and statistics. They help mathematicians understand and analyze the connections between different sets and how they interact with each other.

How do you represent a set relation?

A set relation can be represented in several ways, including tables, graphs, mapping diagrams, and ordered pairs. These visual representations help to illustrate the relationship between the sets and make it easier to understand and analyze.

What is the difference between a reflexive and an irreflexive relation?

A reflexive relation is one in which every element in a set is related to itself, while an irreflexive relation is one in which no element is related to itself. In other words, a reflexive relation shows that every object has a specific property, while an irreflexive relation shows that no object has that property.